ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking Always nice when ups stops

Well as a few of you know from the nikon section, I ordered my Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR lens Wednesday from Calumet Photo. I paid for 2nd day delivery so I could have it for the weekend. I called my sales rep on thursday for a tracking #. He said it doesn't look like it has gone out yet then he said he will upgrade shipping to next day so I have it on friday :thumbsup:

About 9:30am friday ups guy stopped with a huge box

Man this thing is HUGE, and talk about heavy !!!

Here is one of the first shots with it - I am going to have so much fun with this !!!
    ISO 800 (was messing with my tubes and forgot to drop it back down)
    F2.8
    1/20 sec
    handheld
    just resized and white balanced

Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Re: Always nice when ups stops

Nice, I wish I had a lens like that.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Nice. I'm hoping for one or two of those vr lenses one of these days. In the mean time I'll just be excited about the new circ. polarizer I got this week.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

There it is - congrats!

I can hear your dog thinking..."now what's he going to pester me with?!"

Make sure to post your results in the N/W forum
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Congrats on your new toy. It looks like it's going to do a nice job for you. Have fun with it. UPS just dropped of a telescopic conversion lens for me yesterday. Found a mourning dove to test it on this morning. Loved the results. It sure is fun to get a new toy once in awhile, eh? Enjoy.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Tyson - thanks - took me a while to "justify" it and to save for it - wife still doesn't think its "justified"

Frog - someday you will have one - hopefully sooner than later -

Loupey - Thanks ! As you can see the enjoyment in my dogs eyes, he barely moves now when the camera comes out. Yes I will be posting more in the N/W forum with this thing.

Mike - Thanks - new toys are always fun - especially the more expensive ones - since they are far and few between. Now Loupey tells me I need the 2x converter too - don't know how to break it to the wife
    Ben

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

well i had a longer response written out last night but then this damned safari beta crashed on me so I lost it. it's just too bad the lens isn't white!

why the 2x? I heard the nikon 1.7x is pretty good. the 2x seems to be only be good with sharp primes.

pretty impressive for 1/20 with that lens, the vr must work pretty well.

and nikon boxes look so much cooler than canon boxes...damn....

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Congrats' Ben.This lense is my next purchase.It's been on the "next purchase list" for a while now. The lense has earned quite a reputation.Heck...it's legendary. I look forward to your first shots with it.

b.t.w. update your equipment list. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    well i had a longer response written out last night but then this damned safari beta crashed on me so I lost it. it's just too bad the lens isn't white!

why the 2x? I heard the nikon 1.7x is pretty good. the 2x seems to be only be good with sharp primes.

pretty impressive for 1/20 with that lens, the vr must work pretty well.

and nikon boxes look so much cooler than canon boxes...damn....
    Brent - Not sure if I would want to of seen what you had written ..... if its as biased as "it's just too bad the lens isn't white!" then probably not - I do have more I want to say but will keep quiet on that subject .....

Since reading your comment about the 2x vs the 1.7x I been doing alot of reading and searching online - I am looking at the 2x for the distance - most of my shooting is outdoors and wildlife so far - I don't do much for sports - I will keep reading and see what more I can find - I have seen some shots taken with the 2x / 70-200 and for the most part they seemed very nice - I will have to see if I can test them both out and see which I prefer. Thanks for the insight on it though !!!

I tell ya hearing the VR working for the first time was like music to my ears - took me a while to stop smiling

Doesn't everything Nikon look cooler than anything canon

Rick - Thanks !!! I don't think anyone can go wrong with this lens - as you said its legendary ! I will have to update my equipment list, been meaning too with the addition of the tripod and now this, soon the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 also, now to start letting go of the other lenses. :thumbsup:
    Ben

Thread Information