ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking LA Area Photo Class?

Anyone knows of a digital photo class in the Los Angeles Area? I just got a leica digilux 3 and I want to be able to use all the features? I'm a point and shoot person with no photo experience. BUt I don't want to take any "dumb" down version of photo class? Any suggestions.

Thanks

Re: LA Area Photo Class?

Consider taking a class at a local community college via open enrollment. You can pick which level to take and not worry about prerequisites since you are going in through open enrollment. You just pay more than the other students in some cases.

Pasadena City College had a good program last I heard.

These classes are different from "extension" courses available at community college. Those classes appear to be for true beginners based on the description.

You can also look at the one day class schedules available at camera stores like Calumet in Hollywood, Bel Air Camera in Westwood, and I believe Samy's Camera in Los Angeles has classes as well. They typically have pro teaching specific techniques. These classes typically have a moderate fee.

Also check the Learning Annex catalog, they have classes sometimes as well but cost more than everyone else.

Good luck
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Welcome to the site, Marcus! Did you find us because of our Leica Digilux 3 pro review? It got posted about a week ago. Congratulations, it's a nice camera. Taking a class is great. But in the meantime, feel free to ask questions on the forums here and explore the Learn section. There are some good articles in there about basic photography techniques and principles. And when you feel like you've gotten to know your camera reasonably well, please post a review for it in our user reviews section. Don't feel like you need to be an expert photographer for your review to count. We need reviews from all kinds of people. There's someone out there, just like you, that's thinking about buying that camera right now. They'd love to hear from you
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Smile Re: LA Area Photo Class?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Welcome to the site, Marcus! Did you find us because of our Leica Digilux 3 pro review? It got posted about a week ago. Congratulations, it's a nice camera. Taking a class is great. But in the meantime, feel free to ask questions on the forums here and explore the Learn section. There are some good articles in there about basic photography techniques and principles. And when you feel like you've gotten to know your camera reasonably well, please post a review for it in our user reviews section. Don't feel like you need to be an expert photographer for your review to count. We need reviews from all kinds of people. There's someone out there, just like you, that's thinking about buying that camera right now. They'd love to hear from you

Thanks, I found you guys because I'm a regular at MTBR and RBR.com (Sister sites). I'll post a review soon.

Smile Re: LA Area Photo Class?

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    Consider taking a class at a local community college via open enrollment. You can pick which level to take and not worry about prerequisites since you are going in through open enrollment. You just pay more than the other students in some cases.

Pasadena City College had a good program last I heard.

These classes are different from "extension" courses available at community college. Those classes appear to be for true beginners based on the description.

You can also look at the one day class schedules available at camera stores like Calumet in Hollywood, Bel Air Camera in Westwood, and I believe Samy's Camera in Los Angeles has classes as well. They typically have pro teaching specific techniques. These classes typically have a moderate fee.

Also check the Learning Annex catalog, they have classes sometimes as well but cost more than everyone else.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read all the manuals and books like Digitial photography for dummies. But I feel that actually getting a hands on experience with trained pros will be the best way. I'll check out some classes at Glendale community college or the learning annex. These seems to be pretty usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus75
    Thanks, I found you guys because I'm a regular at MTBR and RBR.com (Sister sites). I'll post a review soon.
    Nice! I try to always through some bike-related contennt into all of my pro reviews. Check out the Canon PowerShot A640 review I posted yesterday for some Fruita photos!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information