ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

YashicaMat 124G or Mamiya C330?

I'm trying to decided between these TLR cameras, and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with either or both.

Thanks.

It depends........

What you want to take photo's of, the main difference is that the Mamiya has interchangable lens, so you can get telelphoto & wide angle. My only comment from friends who have owned the Mamiya, is that the lens quality can be a bit soft.

I would imagine the Yashica is quite a bit cheaper & a good introduction to medium format.

If you have anymore questions you might find more responses in the Help forum, where these questions are answered more.
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Colorado Photographer
    I have owned a Mamiya C330f for several years. I chose it over other TLR's because of the interchangeable lens. I use the 80mm and 55mm lens'. I have found the lens to be very sharp. Depending on the type of photography you are into, the fixed lens of the YashicaMat may be the right one for you, however, if you need the flexibility of interchangeable lens, the Mamiya will be the appropriate one. The Mamiya equipment is well built and sturdy. And the various accessories are readily availble. HTH.

Jim

Mamiya for me

I have owned three Mamiya cameras over the last 30 years and have always found them to be tough to beat. I started shooting with a Mamiya in 1969 for general photo work and weddings. I found the lenses to be very good never had a problem or malfunction. The very fact that the Mamiya gives you the interchangablity of lenses is the best sell point I can think of for it's choice. The square format gives you a lot a latitude for croping and composing after the the fact. I was never as pleased with the Mamiya 645 after I went to that as I was with the quality and reliability of the old C220 that I shot with for several years.

Thread Information