Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Would you changs aperture with camera move.

My question is about being in a studio and your near your subject and lights with a meter reading of f11. You would set your camera for that f stop. For the sake of argument if you were in a large studio and moved yourself back 20 or 30 feet from your setup would the taking aperture stay the same.

Ghost

Re: Would you changs aperture with camera move.

Yes, my taking aperture would stay the same, unless I'm concerned with any changes in DOF.

Are you trying to ask whether camera distance from subject affects exposure? It may affect DOF or field of view but it won't affect exposure assuming your body wasn't casting shadow/reflections.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Nope and yep...

Nope, as in no you don't. Yep, as in Trevor's right...

That's why an incident meter reading doesn't have to take into account camera position from the subject (assuming there are no obstructions between your subject and the camera lens).

In the context of a studio, the luminance of an object being lit remains constant enough that it will record the same regardless of camera distance.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

From what I had been taught it doesn't make any difference but my partner who is a photography teacher at the local college and a 20 yr pro wedding photographer is convinced that there would be light falloff to deal with. I didn't have an effective argument to give him. On the surface what he said seemed like it could make sense but I never heard that you would have to change aperture. Thanks for the answers I'll give him the URL to this forum and he can see the answers for himself. Thanks

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by JCPhoto1
    From what I had been taught it doesn't make any difference but my partner who is a photography teacher at the local college and a 20 yr pro wedding photographer is convinced that there would be light falloff to deal with. I didn't have an effective argument to give him. On the surface what he said seemed like it could make sense but I never heard that you would have to change aperture. Thanks for the answers I'll give him the URL to this forum and he can see the answers for himself. Thanks
    That sounds like a good idea. There's probably just a misunderstanding somewhere and the teacher may be able to clear it up pretty quickly. Let us know the results.

Ghost

Re: Nope and yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Nope, as in no you don't. Yep, as in Trevor's right...
    lol. I answered the question in his post rather than the one in his subject. Now I'm glad I didn't just say "Yes" with no qualification

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Yeah, I'm curious....

...to hear the explanation.

The phenomena of light falloff is a factor of the subject's position in relationship to the light source, not the camera. If a subject moves away from either the front of or to the side of a light, falloff will be a factor.

But I'll say it again: for all practical purposes, the REFLECTED luminance of a subject will not change simply because you move the camera farther away. A handheld light meter does not take into account camera position.

Of course, if you're only lighting your subject with single light, as you move farther away (assuming the same focal length lens), light falloff will probably make the OVERALL SCENE darker, but the exposure for your subject would still be the same.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information