Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Wireless Nikon strobe set-up??

Anybody know what products to use so I can set up my Nikon strobes (SB80DX and SB800) off-camera other than using a radio transmitter like the Pocket Wizard? I'm using a DSLR (D70) and do location portraits where I want to light my subject with more flattering sidelight (plus any available light). I do have an SC-17 cord, but for anything more than 2-3 feet away it's just too short. Are there any infrared transmitters I can use? What product has to be plugged into the strobe so it will fire? I've looked at Wein slaves etc. but can't figure out the right product. Are there (long) sync cords that run from the camera to the strobe? Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it's my first time posting.

Christine

Re: Wireless Nikon strobe set-up??

I don't have the system, but seen it in use before - but your SB800 and D70 is already part of it. You may have to use an SB800 on the camera (the built-in flash may work though - check the manual) to power other SB800's. There's something about limited functions on the SB600 here, but it may be an option as well.

I've seen it done with a D2H which doesn't have a built-in, and an SB800 was used as the (can't remember the term, commander?) flash on the camera to signal all the other flashes. The SB80DX is not part of that system but I think it has a built-in optical slave so it could be used to some extent. Rather than spending the money on a Pocket Wizard system, I'd probably sell the SB80DX and get another SB800 or two. It's a pretty cool set-up!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Are you going to be using one strobe or two. Your 80x will work with the 800 in manual mode. You can meter handheld and trigger the 800 on a stick with a sync cord and set the 80 as a fill light and in slave mode.

The other way would be to use the 800 in commander mode with your on camera flash as the trigger. The cool part is that the on-camera flash will not affect the exposure. My location kit is two lightstands, one a boom to hold a 42" light disk. The 800 is put on a stand with a small umbrella and put into TTL and remote mode. The on camera flash is then set to commander/TTL mode. The post below is shot with the strobe about two feet above the subjects head and on a 45 degree angle. I shot it in aperture priority, f/8 to keep all of the eyes in focus. I did not use the reflector disk.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wireless Nikon strobe set-up??-my-two-youngest.jpg  
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

U know wut~both SB80DX and SB800 have IR sensor built in, you just need to set your flash to wireless mode, and you can even use wireless I-TTL with your on camera flash and the SB800, it fires off preflashes to comminicate with the SB800 and the exposure WILL be correct.

The Photoman AYU

Thread Information