Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Ghost

What is required for wireless using PW, 550EX, and Light meter?

Photo-John or others that use Pocket Wizard systems...

I'm confused about what is required to shoot using 550EX, Pocket Wizard, and Sekonic Light Meter.

So you have a PW transmitter and receiver. I guess the transmitter sits on the camera hot shoe. How do you attach the receiver to the 550EX? Or is that a stupid question and I'm an idiot?

Maybe I should rephrase the question; What's the receiver for and what's the transmitter for?

Additional Questions:
    What would be required for two 550EX's?
    Could I use this system to fire a 420EX?

Thanks for answering my questions.

I'd be looking at pocketwizard.com for sales brochures/faq's but it appears the web-site is down.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: What is required for wireless using PW, 550EX, and Light meter?

Trevor,

I wouldn't feel dumb about not knowing the ins and outs of the PW system. I spent a lot of time reading about it before I decided what to get, then a lot of time reading the manual to try to figure out how to use it.

The basic system has a transmitter and a receiver. As you said, the transmitter goes on the camera (you can hot shoe or sync cord it). That sends a signal when the camera shutter is tripped (or the Sekonic meter with optional module is triggered).

The receiver can be attached to your flash in several ways, including a strap or with velcro. It is connected to the flash with a cord. When it gets the signal from the transmitter, it triggers the flash.

You only need one transmitting unit, and, assuming you're not using slaves, a receiving unit for each flash you want triggered. If you are using slaves, you only need a receiver on the main flash, which then triggers the other flashes...

The more expensive PW MultiMax is a "transeiver", a combination of the two units.

BTW, if you don't use the Sekonic PW module, you need to meter by manually triggering the transmitter. The problem with that is you need to be at the camera position to do that, so if your meter spot is not very close, you need someone to help you (or something to place the meter on aimed at the camera).

Sorry, I can't really give you specifics about the 550EX...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ghost

Re: What is required for wireless using PW, 550EX, and Light meter?

Steve, I'm understanding things now.

I still have a confidence problem however in knowing what cables are required for my potential uses.

Now's a good time to ask if I'm wasting energy considering this....

I definetely want to fire off two flashes, 550 and 420.

I definetely want to fire the flashes from my sekonic to measure flash....this is the MAIN reason for considering the pocket wizard as I can't stand trying to lay down/hang the flash meter in a way that it will read the light correctly when I go back to the camera and trigger the flashes!!!!

Another use I'd like to investigate is what would be required to trigger my camera AND flashes using the pocket wizard system...or if that's possible.

So, what I would like to see is a complete itemized list of things I will need in order to meet my needs.If I ever figure this stuff out and purchase this kind os system myself then my promise to you will be a good FAQ and description for doing it

I know I need cords from here
    http://www.paramountcords.com/Pockwiz.asp

Frankly, I'm surprised pocketwizard doesn't have the materials out there that spell everything out easily.

Thread Information