Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Ghost

What normal stores sell gaffers tape?

I was looking on line at the usual places with no luck (home depot, office max) and don't want to drive all over town looking for a $5 item. Any suggestions on where I can pick up a roll?

Silly question, I know I appreciate the time you guys can save me though!

Re: What normal stores sell gaffers tape?

I get mine from Calumet Camera. It seems to only be sold at camera shops or video supply houses. Any big camera store should carry it or order it over the web.

Jim C

Ghost

Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I was hoping for a local store but guess that's too much to hope for. I ended up buying some velcro at office max tog et the job done.

Thanks again.

Don't know if this helps but....better late than never

http://www.smsprod.com/expendables/expendables2.html

Maybe a local music store? that specializes in heavy duty equipment or stage equipment

Also found this

Calumet Chicago

Address:
    520 W. Erie
    Chicago , IL 60610
    Phone/Fax/Pager: 312-440-4920
    Credits: (Permacel gaffers tape, Rosco products, lamps, Lowell & Matthews, Minolta & Sekonic meters)

Chicago Spotlight, Inc. is located in Chicago and ready to serve your lighting needs.
    Stop by our facility to talk to one of our lighting professionals.

Chicago Spotlight, Inc.
    1658 West Carroll Street
    Chicago, IL 60612
    Phone: (312)455-1171
    Fax: (312)455-1744

Hope this helps some how...sure it won't be as useful as your flash advice ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

drg

There are two other ways I know of too get Gaffers Tape. One is buying ends. Most lighting supply or rental places will have boxes of partial rolls and will sell you enough (you usually have to buy a whole box for 15 to twenty bucks) to last a loooong time.

Secondly, 3M makes an autobody tape that is really cool. I think its number 3910 or 3390, and it is sometimes called 200mph tape. It will stick like anything and comes off VERY clean. Its actually meant to go on over soft paint and decals and not rip them off. I've used it in emergencies. Almost any NAPA or the like autostore seems to carry it and they'll usually get in an hour two or so it seems. It has one disadvantage, I can't get it to tear as easily.

- C

drg

Part II

Calumet will probably charge and arm and a leg. You might try

Grand Stage Lighting
    630 W Lake St, Chicago, IL 312-332-5611

This is a pro video and lighting supplier.

-C

Trevor...When I posted before I didn't notice you were from Gurnee. There isn't any big camera shops up north by you that I know of but in Chicago there are lots of big camera stores to get the tape from. I go to Helix on Damen south of Madison . They do a lot of rental work and might be a source of the half rolls talked about earlier. You could call them and see if they do sell their half used rolls. Might save a bit on the gas money spent coming into the city.

Calumet in Chicago and also Bensenville are the only two places I can think of - I usually mail order my stuff and have never seen it in my town. Either place isn't really "local" to Gurnee, and it will probably be more than $5!

I never thought about a music place, but a good one that's not too far from Gurnee is Gand Music and Sound. They do a lot of big pro rental stuff for concerts and festivals, including lighting trusses, etc.

Gand

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I get gafffer tape at Costco or our local motor store.
    The local motor parts shop is 500 yards away, and opens 8am-10pm.
    Costco is 1/2 the price, 25 miles away
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Just checking bust is Duct tape and Gaffer tape the same stuff, vinyl-coated cotton cloth tape comes in silver black...

If so I used to buy it at Wal Mart when I used to visit the US. In the UK any of the home DIY sell it for a couple of pound for a 3m roll
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

One big difference with G-Tape. It won't leave a residue when you remove it - that's why it's more expensive (or at least why people pay more for it...). Pretty similar other than that, and it's usually black. I've never seen it at the home centers around here in the 'States though.

Ghost

For what it's worth, I never found it in any home type stores. I ended up ordering some online though.

Thread Information