Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Question Vivitar 6000AF ring flash compatability

Sorry for the double post, but after thinking about it, I think this may be the approriate place to post this...

I have come across a Vivitar 6000AF ring flash for sale. I have read the reviews and know that this is not a top of the line item. It's not even a middle of the line item, but for the right price, it would do everything that I want it for, so with that being said, here is my question. Will it work with the DRebel? The seller says it will, but I read a review that says it wont. B&H has one listed for Canon EOS systems so I'm assuming that means the DRebel as well but I would like to know for sure before agreeing to buy it. Anyone know anything about this unit? I checked the Vivitar website, but that didn't help at all...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Vivitar 6000AF ring flash compatability

I did some more research to find the answer to this question since I didn't get a reply from the seller. I called Vivitars customer service number and was told that this flash only work on EOS Film cameras, and NOT on the DRebel. Just thought I would let everyone know.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Did they say...

...WHY it wouldn't work with the DSLR? I don't quite get that...

Ok, maybe not in auto mode, but it should work in manual mode, no? I mean, DSLRs have pc plugs and hot shoes, either of which should be able to trigger an older flash.

I use a Norman ring flash, and got it when I was using my EOS film body. It works fine with my 10D. No difference. Yes, I always shoot in manual mode, but with digital I'd think it would be pretty simple, as you can easily check your exposures.

Depending on the price, that Vivitar flash may be a good deal. My Norman is 400w, and so pretty powerful, but I know another pro that's used a cheaper Vivitar ring flash and gotten great results...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Did they say...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    ...WHY it wouldn't work with the DSLR? I don't quite get that...

Ok, maybe not in auto mode, but it should work in manual mode, no? I mean, DSLRs have pc plugs and hot shoes, either of which should be able to trigger an older flash.

I use a Norman ring flash, and got it when I was using my EOS film body. It works fine with my 10D. No difference. Yes, I always shoot in manual mode, but with digital I'd think it would be pretty simple, as you can easily check your exposures.

Depending on the price, that Vivitar flash may be a good deal. My Norman is 400w, and so pretty powerful, but I know another pro that's used a cheaper Vivitar ring flash and gotten great results...

I don't understand why it wouldn't work either. The woman I talked to at Vivitar didn't give me any specifics, she just said that it works on film cameras only. I don't have a flash, other than the build in flash, so I know very little about them. I do think that a ring flash would be very nice for macro shooting, and if I could pick it up for $50 or less I think it would be a steal, but I don't want to spend $50 to find out that I can't use it. Or worse, have it ruin my camera in some way. As I said, I know very little about flashes and have never used one, but I would love to learn. If anyone else has some more info on this product, please let me know. I will give Vivitar another call and see if I can get someone who can give me the technical reasons why this is not compatable with the DRebel.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

If I were you...

...I wouldn't expect Vivitar to have any good answers. You need to check with other users, maybe on one of the digital forums here, or, dare I say it...another photo site.

I can't think of any reason this flash will not work with a DSLR. When you think about it, "will only work with FILM cameras" is a pretty silly response, as there is nothing that sets apart film cameras from digital other than the obvious film aspect, and that alone would have no bearing on the flash's ability to work.

My guess is that the flash will not work AS WELL with a digital camera, or not in AUTO MODE, and so Vivitar's official stance has to be that it's not compatible...

As far as damaging your DSLR, the only thing you need to be aware of is the voltage, but then this is true with late model electronic film SLRs also.

To be on the safe side, I'd use a Wein Safe-Sync voltage regulator:

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: If I were you...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    ...I wouldn't expect Vivitar to have any good answers. You need to check with other users, maybe on one of the digital forums here, or, dare I say it...another photo site.

I can't think of any reason this flash will not work with a DSLR. When you think about it, "will only work with FILM cameras" is a pretty silly response, as there is nothing that sets apart film cameras from digital other than the obvious film aspect, and that alone would have no bearing on the flash's ability to work.

My guess is that the flash will not work AS WELL with a digital camera, or not in AUTO MODE, and so Vivitar's official stance has to be that it's not compatible...

As far as damaging your DSLR, the only thing you need to be aware of is the voltage, but then this is true with late model electronic film SLRs also.

To be on the safe side, I'd use a Wein Safe-Sync voltage regulator:

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
    Thanks for your imput Steve. I was not able to get a hold of anyone at Vivitar, but I did call a camera shop and asked the guy there. When I told him what I had found out so far, he said he wasn't surprised to hear that it wouldn't work. He said that the TTL system on Canons DSLR's is different from their film SLR's and he said the circuitry is different also, and the DSLR's might not even make the flash fire. Basically it would be like taking an old Canon flash, and putting it on a DSLR. From what I understand, the Canon DSLR's need an EX flash to work properly and a pre EX flash will not work. But according to your previous post, you are able to use an old flash with your 20D so now I'm even more confused...

When you say you shoot in full manual mode, does that mean that you are running the flash maually as well?

Ok, so here's onther question. If everything was compatable, does that mean that the camera would automatically adjust the exposure based on the amount of light that is produced when the flash fires as long as the camera is on one of the auto settings? Assuming that is correct, what does that mean to the user? Does that mean that I would set my own f/stop and shutterspeed, take the picture w/flash, and then adjust my esposure according to the results?

Sorry to keep rambling on, but I have no clue when it comes to flash photography and this is all greek to me... :S
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information