Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Virtual Background System?

Hi. I have limited mobility due to an injury and am thinking of investing in a Virtual Background system. I'm wondering how others who have used this kind of technology have faired. I plan to use it with a Canon 20d. Any feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated. Alternative suggestions are also welcome. Thanks

Re: Virtual Background System?

Another 20D shooter in PA here. I don't have any experience with virtual background systems but am curious as to what they are. I'm guessing you're talking about something more complex than just copying someone onto a different background photoshop.

I don't have any experience with it, however, I've had OK results projecting slides/gels with my spot/fresnel units slide holder. I projected it onto a studio gray seemless and my unit has a tilt function. I just bought a more powerfull pack and need to revisit it. My goals were to color the background, not really project a crips scene.

I know the VB unit has a special screen and projects from behind. I've aslo seen decent results from it (or the same type of screen with a spot unit behind it projecting a slide). So you could look into a similar type of screen and a spot. It will probably take more time to get going if you go this route, but once you figure it out it will be a more flexable system. One you can use for different purposes besides just as a background projector.

It has to be better than chromakey. I've also played with chromakey and associated sofware and was dissapointed. No matter how hard I tried I had a halo and problems with hair. They're good enough to sell. It's just not what I'm interested in. So it depends what your goals are.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by EADavis
    Hi. I have limited mobility due to an injury and am thinking of investing in a Virtual Background system. I'm wondering how others who have used this kind of technology have faired. I plan to use it with a Canon 20d. Any feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated. Alternative suggestions are also welcome. Thanks
    I believe what you are asking about is Virtual Backgrounds makers of the Scene Machine projection systems.

There web sight is www.virtualbackgrounds.net

A husband and wife team Joseph and Louise Simone have made tremendous inroads in the use of this system.

However the web site will fill you in on all its benefits.

The only reason I chose not to go with this system was the initial cost and felt that once my studio had established itself I would make the plunge.

I’ve use different projection systems with generally poor or not the results I wanted, they work don’t get me wrong it’s just that they don’t work the way I want.

I created a reverse screen system within my newly constructed studio, which became the best and most used background.

The one problem with it was space requirement; from the camera to the back of the lighting system was 27 feet.

Using Chromakey was and is a real pain and like others I have problems with Halo and glass like hair and the software most often isn’t very user friendly.

I like spending my time behind the camera creating images properly the first time rather then spending untold hours in front of a computer monitor.

Photo paper backgrounds and a few studio strobes can work wonders for backgrounds, I use the manual roller system but there are several electric models available as well.

Another system or set as I call them is using yards of material draped lavishly over studio props and hangers these can be lit to portray many moods.

Another set I use for family sittings are drapes, the same you would find in some lavishly appointed home with shears back lit with a studio strobe.

One other useful background was a wall mural although I had a hard time lighting this as there was sheen on it and it didn’t look natural.

Once I learned how to light it without the sheen it became a second to my reveres lit set.

My “new” studio is under construction as I write this and hope to employ many of my previous backgrounds and yes the VB is still on my mind so is the cost.

Robert from Canada

Thread Information