Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Variable strobe strength...or so it should be...

My strobes have a dial for the strength of light that is emitted, as you can see here:

The problem is that it only seems to affect the modelling lamp strength and not the strobe strength. If I set it to full power or lowest power, the modelling light changes like it should, but the strobe light always fires at full strength, no matter what.

What am I missing? The manual even says "You can adjust the brightness of the flash by turning the flash output dial clockwise for more power or counterclockwise for less power"

That seems pretty straightforward to me!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Variable strobe strength...or so it should be...

Quote Originally Posted by Dubious Drewski
    That seems pretty straightforward to me...
    Indeed it is. That variable power knob should lower the flash output regardless of how the modeling light is set.

Aside from something being busted, the only thing I can think of is that the flash is already fully charged when you turn down the setting. In that case, the full powered flash would still fire.

So what you need to do when you lower the setting is first discharge the flash (using the test button). Then it should recharge at the lower power.

If it is indeed not working right, and you don't have the resources to get it fixed, you can still lower the output by using modifying material in front of the flash. Scrims are dark stretched fabric that block some of the light. Sort of a neutral density filter for light.

They're kind of pricey from a photo or grip store, but like much studio gear, you can probably make your own cheaply. You might try fiberglass screening material...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dubious Drewski
    My strobes have a dial for the strength of light that is emitted, as you can see here:

The problem is that it only seems to affect the modelling lamp strength and not the strobe strength. If I set it to full power or lowest power, the modelling light changes like it should, but the strobe light always fires at full strength, no matter what.

What am I missing? The manual even says "You can adjust the brightness of the flash by turning the flash output dial clockwise for more power or counterclockwise for less power"

That seems pretty straightforward to me!
    Are you making this judgment from visually looking at the flash or are you using a flash meter to get readings of the output? Visually you will probably not be able to tell if there is a change in output.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

My strobe sorta does that. If I turn the power down, I usually have to fire it once so it drains all the power, then when it charges back up it will charge to whatever power I change it to, and confirmed by a flash meter.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Definitely check the output with the meter, if busted, send it out for fixing.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

So I went and created this animated gif which details the problem...

But then I read the comments about hitting the test button to drain the capacitor and it seems to have fixed it.

Oh well then. That's good news, I guess. Even though I feel a bit foolish!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

No prob, I was wondering the same thing about my strobes before I realized that would fix it
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information