Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Using multiple flashes versus lights

I'm new to photography and I'm gathering equipment to start doing family photos with my new daughter. So far I have a Rebel XT 350 with a 50mmEF1.8 lens. I've been looking at the possibility of buying a 420ex and/or 580ex flash so that I can use the slave capability. My question is: what is the difference between setting up a studio with mulitple flashes versus setting up lights? And, without spending out of the ballpark, anyone have any ideas as to what would be an appropriate plan for a "startup" home studio?

Re: Using multiple flashes versus lights

rvietas have you read any of the posts in the studio & lighting forum there are many who have asked the same questions before you. Please have a read of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rvietas
    I'm new to photography and I'm gathering equipment to start doing family photos with my new daughter. So far I have a Rebel XT 350 with a 50mmEF1.8 lens. I've been looking at the possibility of buying a 420ex and/or 580ex flash so that I can use the slave capability. My question is: what is the difference between setting up a studio with mulitple flashes versus setting up lights? And, without spending out of the ballpark, anyone have any ideas as to what would be an appropriate plan for a "startup" home studio?
    Why would you want to start into photography by trying to do formal studio shots with your new daughter? It requires a lot of knowledge and experience that you do not have and will not have before your daughter arrives. You would be far better off, trying natural on location shots. I shot my four year old daughter holding my new son at the hospital and my daughter and my dog on the floor, both staring at the same toy. I have other priceless and memorable shots which were definitely not formal studio shots. Even this type of shooting takes a lot of work, effort and experience to achieve any level of quality, so you have a long way to go, no matter what approach you take.

Ronnoco

Thanks Ronnoco

I think I'm resolved to leaving the portrait shots to the professionals! I'm just looking at making smart decisions on what equipment to buy. So far I have a Rebel XT with a 50mm EF/1.8 lens and a Tamron 35-105mm zoom, but I don't have a flash yet. It's somewhat overwhelming to see how much equipment is out there and I don't necessarily want to buy something that I won't use. Based on what I've read, I'm leaning towards a 420ex flash. Do you think it's worthwhile to buy a bracket attachment for it and get a function so that I can work the 420ex as a slave? I want the ability to take nice photos when my family gets together and I'm willing to spend the money if it's worth it! Thanks for your help!

Bob

Thanks Ronnoco

I think I'm resolved to leaving the portrait shots to the professionals! I'm just looking at making smart decisions on what equipment to buy. So far I have a Rebel XT with a 50mm EF/1.8 lens and a Tamron 35-105mm zoom, but I don't have a flash yet. It's somewhat overwhelming to see how much equipment is out there and I don't necessarily want to buy something that I won't use. Based on what I've read, I'm leaning towards a 420ex flash. Do you think it's worthwhile to buy a bracket attachment for it and get a function so that I can work the 420ex as a slave? I want the ability to take nice photos when my family gets together and I'm willing to spend the money if it's worth it! Thanks for your help!

Bob
    The 420ex has apparently been replaced by the 430ex. I have the Sigma EF500 Super DG which seems to be in the same price range (American wise that is) to the 430ex, but equivalent in features to the 550ex. As well as on camera, it also works off camera as a slave, in fractional mode, and with high speed sync for some cameras. A flash stand/tripod for a slave is probably more helpful and less awkward than manipulating a camera with a flash bracket but I have used both. The built-in flash by the way triggers the Sigma flash which by the way comes in models for Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc.

Ronnoco

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Sigma flash. How do you use it as a slave? Do you have a cord that goes from the camera to the tripod/Sigma flash or is it wireless? Does the camera built-in flash also have to go off when you do this?

Buy the 580EX flash you won't regret it, better on batteries and also recycles faster as well, big improvement over the 550EX and both of these flashes are much better than the 420EX or 430EX, more featured. Sigma is a good brand as well.

Thanks Peter

Do you think there's such thing as too much or too big of a flash? Will this be too much for my Rebel XT or is it appropriate to use for shots around the house? I'm thinking of using it as a master and setting up a slave with it...so I may invest in a 580ex and also a 550ex or 420ex as the slave. This photography thing is a whole new world for me. I am so amazed at how much there is to learn, even in the digital world!

Bob

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Sigma flash. How do you use it as a slave? Do you have a cord that goes from the camera to the tripod/Sigma flash or is it wireless? Does the camera built-in flash also have to go off when you do this?
    You adjust it to slave mode and take it off the camera. Then you use the built-in camera flash to trigger it. No cord.

Ronnoco

rvietas if you are goign to get so many flashes you are better at looking at say Alien Bees as lights much easier to use studio lighting. If you are using one flash say in side for groups like a party etc then the 580EX flash, can always be turned down.

Don't go the three small flash head route otherwise you end up spending just about as much as a reasonable priced Studio flash system.

Do more research and read the forum a bit more.

I went the three small flash head route and now have a Bowens 2 head Studio setup, learn from others spending.

Yes there is a lot ot be learnt.

Also Ronnoco's suggestion of take the flash off and use in slave mode might not work as the camera shoots a pre-flash which will fire the slave flash before the image you want to take. Things will be out of sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Also Ronnoco's suggestion of take the flash off and use in slave mode might not work as the camera shoots a pre-flash which will fire the slave flash before the image you want to take. Things will be out of sink.
    No pre-flash problem with my camera, but the Sigma can set Channel 0 or Channel 1, to avoid being set off by other flashes and I also have multiple flash modes in my menu.
    Nevertheless it is no doubt different with different cameras and different models.

Ronnoco

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

I have been using two 580EX flash units triggered by a Canon ST-E2 flash transmitter...No sync cords and the output of each flash can be controlled by the ST-E2..I mount both flashes on stands and shoot with umbrellas..This set up is highly portable,controllable and great for location shoots..I compliment this set up with a Lastolite white/gold reflector and a sheet of polystyrene 4' X 3' X 4"..

BTW,,a decent reflector is a photographers best friend..Learn how to use one!!

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

The one - The only

Yogestee-
    How's the range of the ST-E2 compared to triggering the 580's with another 580? What color umbrellas are you using?

Thanks!
    -Dave
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Hi Dave,,,I have not tested the difference in ranges between the ST-E2 and 580EX,,,could be a good exercise when nothing to do..I rarely mount the 580EX on camera hotshoe..
    White 45" with black backing..Translucient white 36" with I can bounce the flash out of or fire the flash through.

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

As to the original post regarding a "startup" home studio, I think two flashes with the ST-E2 would be a good start. But perhaps not too economical in the long run if you think that you will quickly outgrow it.

I have been using the ST-E2 and two 430EX's for home interior work. The signal bounces off walls good enough that I can trigger the flashes around corners and even had one 35' down a hall and around a corner and it still fired. Most of the time, the areas I am lighting are too large for umbrellas and reflectors so I usually bounce them into ceiling corners or walls. For its power limitations, I can't see using anything else as I need the flexibility and portability. Imagine lugging even this modest amount of equipment through 13 rooms, up 3 flights of stairs, and 2 to 3 dozen setups - and that was just one job.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Hi Loupey...I use the 580Ex's with the ST-E2 for portraiture and fashion shoots...The thing I like about this system it is highly portable, not reliant on AC power and works well indoors/outdoors,,and importantly controlable..Outdoors I can easily get a distance of 10 metres which is heaps..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

If you want to read the ST-E2 manual as you don't have one yet I have put it up on a webpage on my website. http://www.memoriesinphotos.com/html...te2manual.html

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Hi Loupey...I use the 580Ex's with the ST-E2 for portraiture and fashion shoots...The thing I like about this system it is highly portable, not reliant on AC power and works well indoors/outdoors,,and importantly controlable..Outdoors I can easily get a distance of 10 metres which is heaps..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Yeah, you can't beat it for portability. Sure studio lights would be "better" but try placing two lights in the corners of a very small bathroom while you and your tripod are squeezed into the shower stall

I don't regret buying the 430EX's nor the ST-E2. Although, at first, I didn't know if I should buy two 580's instead of two 430's. I went with 430's to save money while I experiemented. I figured if I liked them, I could always buy 580's later and use the 430's for fill and key lighting.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I tried the two small flash heads like you are talking about for studio work, have all the equipment, still bought Studio Light setup. Now I have both.

Thread Information