Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Using Hot Shoe Flash w/Umbrella?

I'm in the process of shopping for a hot shoe flash to use on my camera. But, I'm also considering buying an umbrella and stand so I can use it as a portable portrait kit. Does anyone have experience doing this? Can you comment on power? There's no direct relationship between Guide Numbers and Watt Seconds, so I'm not sure what GN would be good for this type of application.

If any of you have done this, what was the GN of your flash, and how well did it work?

Thanks,
    Paul

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Using Hot Shoe Flash w/Umbrella?

I was using Nikon SB-800 triggering an SB-600 that was fired into a shoot through umbrella for a setup for a while. It makes a nice compact setup to take places, but since I was using it all the time for product photography, I was charging batteries all the time which was a pain. It did give me more of a desire to invest in studio strobes, which I finally did get

For doing single portraits, it was a good little setup. It was powerful enough for the job, but I soon found myself wanting more. Guide number, not quite sure what it is

Here is an example of using 2 SB-600s triggered by the on camera flash from my D70, both shot into an umbrella.

Exif gives me 1/500 @f10 ISO 200
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I was using Nikon SB-800 triggering an SB-600 that was fired into a shoot through umbrella for a setup for a while. It makes a nice compact setup to take places, but since I was using it all the time for product photography, I was charging batteries all the time which was a pain. It did give me more of a desire to invest in studio strobes, which I finally did get

For doing single portraits, it was a good little setup. It was powerful enough for the job, but I soon found myself wanting more. Guide number, not quite sure what it is

Here is an example of using 2 SB-600s triggered by the on camera flash from my D70, both shot into an umbrella.

Exif gives me 1/500 @f10 ISO 200

What a pretty dog.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed. I'm thinking about getting an SB-800 and bouncing it out of an umbrella. If you can shoot through an umbrella with a 600, then I think my plan will work...at least to get me started. I need a flash for on-camera stuff anyway, so I figured this would be a good way to get my feet wet...maybe do a few headshots to pay for som Alien Bees or something. We'll see.

Thanks again.
    Paul

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Glad I could help.

I've got 2 SB-600s, 1 SB-800, and a Sigma DG-500 flash as well. Its nice having the flashes since I can go out on location and shoot. Now that I have my strobes the flashes don't get used as much inside.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information