Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    learning

umm.. a bit of help? please!

Wow, this is the first time I've posted on this site for a like a year! Its nice to have the internet back again.

Anyway, heres the story: My school's newspaper is having a "special fashion section" and the editor of the paper went and asked the photography teacher to recomend someone to shoot it for them. And he recomended me. She also, (I'm not quite sure how) managed to get a full light set up. So here is my problem, I've never really worked with lights other than a few times in my I'st year photo class ( I do know the basic lighting schemes, but thats about it). I have taken a fair amount of portraits (even earned a bit of money doing peoples senior pictures) but I've always just used available light or a simple reflector. Any tips for the almost complete amature at this? Really anything would be great.

Thanks,
    Scott

P.S. Also, the editor wanted it to be shot for the most part around the school.This means that there is essentially no natural light at all, becasue my school has no windows to speak of. (It was designed by a man who built prisons for a living, thats how little light I'm talking).

Equipment?

What do you mean by a "full light set up?" Different kinds of equipment will give you different effects. And there's not really any right or wrong way to do things. Only ways to get different effects. Why don't you tell us about what you have in mind and what equipment you have available.

Asylum Steve, this forum's moderator, has the most experience with this type of photography. It's what he does.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

learning

Re: umm.. a bit of help? please!

Thats the problem really, i don't know, thats about all this girl will tell me, and I have no idea what she means by it. I really have been thrown into this rather absurd situation with out being asked (a photographic extestential crisis, if you will). To post such a broad question is sort of rediculous, I know, but I was sort of just hoping for some broad answers, as I have basically no experance in this type of photography.

As for what I have in mind, to some extent it depends on what the situation is when I show up with my camera. I know they have like 7 kids who volunteered to "model" clothes that the paper got local stores to lend them, some formal, some not. They want it shot around the school, so no backgrounds, also I know that they want digital and a mix of color and b/w. As a concept I was going to sort of try to go along with the arcitecture of the school which is, um, sort of harsh and industrial (think lots of bare cement and strange, sharp angles) and try to go for a look that is fairly high contrast? The high contrast runs against what I've been told about portraits, but It's the look I have in my head.

Bad Idea? Any imput would be great. Apologies for the vaugness...
    Last edited by mtb'n ski; 02-23-2006 at 11:09 PM.

If it is fashion then high contrast is not going to work, since you need to emphasize the clothes and the look. Perhaps wishful thinking but it would be ideal to have the clothes and the look of the model fit together. Some students for example will fit the "formal" look in appearance and in clothes, much better than others who will perhaps be perfect for the "casual" or the "with it" look. Location can be used to match the clothes and the look, as in library for the "studious" look, the gym for the "active" look with appropriate clothes, etc.

Depending on what you have to work with in terms of model, clothes, and locations, use the lighting to both emphasize and de-emphasize. If the model is less than "ideal", for example then you are lighting to emphasize the location and the clothes. If the clothes are not particularly "attractive" or "stylish", then you are lighting to stress the look of the model and the location.

Also by the way, watch carefully to make sure that hair is combed and in place and that any skin or other appearance problem is not unintentionally brought to everyone's attention by your photo.

Ronnoco

Pentax Forum Moderator

I'm definitely not the one to give advise here, but I read a few days ago about a photographer that uses a digital to set up his shots prior to using/wasting film. This gives him an idea of what the shot will look like before actually shooting it. If you are shooting film, you might use/borrow a digital (recommend slr) to try a few test shots with your lighting before you shoot it with film. Of course, if you're already using digital, then this probably won't be of any help to you.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information