Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

just getting started

I have wanted to start my own home portrait studio in my garage. I have Nikon D80, SB-800 speed light and an affordable light kit (consisting of 2 - 12 inch reflectors and 1 - 5 inch hair light reflector, a small soft box and 2 shoot thru umbrellas http://www.photography-lighting.com/Smith-Victor.html the KT900) I am using 2 - 250 watt and 1 - 500watt ECA photo flood bulbs. My problem is that the pictures have a yellow tint to them
    I have used white, black and gray back drops all get the same yellow tint. I can adjust these using the new adobe lightroom but it would be nice to not have to do that all the time.
    Do I have the right lights? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! I just found this community and have not had a chance to read through many threads so I'm sorry if this is a repeated question.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: just getting started

If you're getting that yellow tint, you could just get a grey card and do a custom white balance on the setup. Then you're color should come out perfect.

Also, if you use your flash while using the lighting kit, that can also add a different color light to the scene
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information