Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Umbrella Silver or White please help????

hi everyone, please help...I m somewhat confuse, should I get the silver or white umbrella to go along with the bee 1600. which is better and why? I'm sorry if this sound like a dumd question or what but I really appreciated alot for any help. pretty pleaseeeeeeeeeeee....

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Umbrella Silver or White please help????

Get the one that is both. It is Silver on one side and white on the other. Tnen you can experiment (play) with them both.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Umbrella Silver or White please help????

Quote Originally Posted by JTcooper
    hi everyone, please help...I m somewhat confuse, should I get the silver or white umbrella to go along with the bee 1600. which is better and why? I'm sorry if this sound like a dumb question or what but I really appreciated alot for any help. pretty pleaseeeeeeeeeeee....
    Umbrellas soften the effect of a strobe primarily by making the light source larger. The larger the light source, the softer is the lighting effect. There is some scattering of the light and it further softens the effect.

Silver reflects the light back more hotly and leaves some nice, bright, specular highlights (small bright spots). It tends to make the image seem livelier.

White gives a softer effect with minimal amount of specular highlights.

I like to use a silver for my main light (portraits) and a white for my fill light.

Thread Information