Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Turning off built-in flash on Nikon CoolPix 5700

I own a Nikon CoolPix 5700 and want to use an external studio flash system. With the AS-15 PC adaptor that fits on my camera's hot shoe, I am now able to fire my studio flash. My question is: how do I turn off ONLY the camera's built-in flash yet still be able to trigger my external studio flash? Is this possible? Thanks.

I own a Nikon CoolPix 5700 and want to use an external studio flash system. My question is: how do I turn off ONLY the camera's built-in flash yet still be able to trigger my external studio flash? Is this possible?

I don't own the 5700 but on an old Coolopix 990 in the flash menu you were able to select onboard flash or external. With external you could disable the onboard. Check the menu first. If not I'm heard of people using a piece from a sheet of #83 infrared filter to cover up their flash and use it to trigger their strobes. It blocks the flash output but lets the infrared light out and it triggers your strobes. My quess is that there is a way in the menu to do it. If I'm wrong there are others in the group who have more experience with the 5700 than me.

JC, thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I know people will tell me "read the manual"... and I have. Over and over and over. Still nothing. The Menu gives me two options. Option 1: AUTO or Option 2: BOTH BUILT-IN AND EXTERNAL FLASHES. On AUTO, if my camera detects an external Speedlight, it turns the built-in flash OFF. But both flashes fire because the AS-15 adapter I'm using doesn't seem to be recognized by my camera's controls as an external flash. I know I could cover the built-in flash but I was hoping for a better solution. I can also reduce the flash's power output so that it's negligible when used with external studio stobes. But when shooting glass or metal (any reflected surface), you can still see the reflection of the on-camera flash. I keep asking myself, am I the only guy on earth who wants to use external lighting with a CoolPix camera? I also just bought a Nikon D70 and am having the same problem. The clerks in the camera shops (the one's around here) are baffled.

I looked up the specs on the 5700 and noticed that they recommended the use of the SC17 TTL cord to use for an external flash. If you can take your camera to a camera shop and try one of those with a Wein or any other kind of hot shoe trigger it might work. I'm fishing here but it might be worth a try as long as you don't have to buy it to see if it works.

JC What a great piece of information. Wouldn't you know it, a few weeks ago in a camera shop, I had an SC-17 in my hands and the clerks said not to bother---it wouldn't work. I should have tried it. I'll go back and check it out. You're right---it's worth a try. Thanks again. Robert

JC
    I went to my local camera shop, tried the cable/adaptor combination you suggested and... no go. It was worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion buddy.
    If there are any Nikon CoolPix 5700 users out there who have succeeded in using studio lights and turning off the built-in flash, let me know. I'm not giving up (maybe just a little frustrated).

Quote Originally Posted by freedom1500
    JC What a great piece of information. Wouldn't you know it, a few weeks ago in a camera shop, I had an SC-17 in my hands and the clerks said not to bother---it wouldn't work. I should have tried it. I'll go back and check it out. You're right---it's worth a try. Thanks again. Robert

[QUOTE=freedom1500]JC
    I went to my local camera shop, tried the cable/adaptor combination you suggested and... no go. It was worth a try.
    I thought we had something there. You would think Nikon would have an easier solution. Now we have to go to desperate measures. I have heard that you can get a infrared filter sheet or sample strip ( filter #82 or #83 can't remember ) from camera shops. Then cut a piece and cover your flash lens. It is suppose to restrict the flash from getting out but lets the infrared out and that will trigger your strobes. I haven't tried it but it might work. I did say I was getting desperate. If it works it's a simple solution. Good luck again.

Thread Information