Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Triggering strobe?

I have been thinking about getting an off camera flash of some sort for a little while and started looking at ebay for sb-24,25 vivitar 285 etc.. Right about the time I decided that my money would be spent better elsewhere I found a Sunpak 333 in perfect shape while digging through my dads old photography stuff. Apparently flashes hold value, going on ebay for 60 bucks and the price tag from years ago says 59.90

Anyways now I have a flash but have a couple questions to get started using it.

Can I connect it to the hot shoe on my xti? I know with some of the older flashes if they put out more than 6v (?) you run the risk of frying your digital camera. I really dont want to do that.

To get it off camera I would like to try starting off by handholding it and sync with a pc cord. The flash has a pc jack but the camera does not. I've found hot shoe/pc mounts. Good way to go? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Adapter.html

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Wein Safe-Sync...

Quote Originally Posted by agtaylor
    Can I connect it to the hot shoe on my xti? I know with some of the older flashes if they put out more than 6v (?) you run the risk of frying your digital camera. I really dont want to do that...
    I don't know the specs on that flash, but if it's older and you want to be safe, a Wein Safe-Sync is the way to go:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shoe_to.html

The Nikon sync adapter you linked to does not protect against high voltage!

The Safe-Sync is the best of both worlds. It lowers the voltage to under 6V, and you can either hot shoe your flash or use the sync connector to place it off-camera...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Triggering strobe?

Good call. I read about those earlier and that probably is the best idea. Im trying to be a cheap college student which could lead to frying my camera which would suck.

Was hoping someone might know specs for that flash and save a few bucks. Or a way to test it? I tried using a voltmeter but that wasnt working out. Flash wouldnt fire while trying to measure. Almost as if I had grounded it.

Thread Information