Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

There's a shine on my bug...

(Haven't 'bugged' this forum yet.) Playing with my new macro lens in my homemade lightbox - cardboard box with cut-outs covered with a single layer of white garbage bag. Using 100 W-equivalent fluorescent 5600K bulbs on top and both sides. Would the reflection on the lady beetle’s shell be taken care of with a better diffusion material?

Also, it seems to look better at a white balance of around 4500K (cooler?). Is this normal?

TF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails There's a shine on my bug...-dsc00464-800.jpg  
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: There's a shine on my bug...

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Would the reflection on the lady beetle’s shell be taken care of with a better diffusion material?
    First of all, that's a very cool shot...

Think of the reflection much like "catchlights" in a human subject's eyes in a portrait. Any shiny surface of your subject is going to reflect your light source, unless it is really broad and really soft (ie overcast skies outside).

To try to eliminate it, you would really have to modify your setup, probably bouncing your light off of large white cards high above the shooting area.

I know a lot of studio shooters, myself included, now deal with small unwanted reflections in photoshop. If you think that's something you might be able to do, it would probably be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Also, it seems to look better at a white balance of around 4500K (cooler?). Is this normal?
    Color is subjective, and "accurate" is not always the best choice. I usually go by what I like...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information