Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Studio setup critique

I couldn't figure out whether to put it here, or the Critique forum, but I want more of a critique on my setup than the image.

I'll be taking photos of dogs for an open house at my work, and I'd like to get a critique on my setup.

Don't mind the background, I don't have my other black background for the bottom yet, but the scene will be either all black or all white, depending on the dog.

Lighting is 1 monolight (main) is at about a 45 degree angle to the left. at about F8 (I believe) boucing off on an umbrella, pretty close to the dog.

Monolight #2 is on the right at about F8 as well a little farther back, and at about a 45 degree angle bounced into an umbrella (to make room for the owners to walk by.) The light falling on the dog comes to about F5.6 due to the distance.

Light #3 is directly behind the background about ceiling height pointing down in a softbox with a grid on it as a hairlight. Its set to F8 as well.

I'm pretty much going for a poster style of lighting since I don't know exactly what position the dogs will be sitting at (And yes, the bunny ears are optional) so I'm working on getting the lights in a position that will be able to accomodate pretty much anyway they sit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studio setup critique-dsc_8558.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Studio setup critique

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Yes, a very even lighting setup that should accomodate a wide variety of subjects. Your pic looks kinda dark on my screen, but probably just my settings.

What would be interesting would be to see shots of the lights seperately. That would give everyone a better idea of what is doing what in the shot.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Studio setup critique

Well I had to redo the setup, since my boss didn't want the dogs high off the ground.

I'll make sure to post a shot of it after I'm done shooting the event today, and I'll make sure to take a few shots of it light by light.

The big difference is I added a 4th light on the background. I am using my SB-800 flash, with a homemade snoot to get a nice circle of light on it. Snoot homemade out of a used Wendy's large drink cup
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information