Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Studio Light from eBAY

I am new to this home studio lightinh thing and I read some of the previous posts (actually quite a few) and still cannot decide on what lighting to buy. I don't want to spend alot of money right now, since I am not sure what to look for. I have a Canon DSLR Rebel EOS and a 420 Speedlite...so I was looking at this set up on eBAY and was wondering if I could get some opinion if this is a good starter kit for the price or not? I already checked out B&H, Andromana & Alienbees (the Digibee Kit) and still aren't sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to basically take potraits at home (for the most part) and would like it to be a little portable to take to my in-laws for family potraits.

Sorry for such a long post , but thanks in adnvance for any input...Angie

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1250w-PHOTOG...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Studio Light from eBAY

Cheap setup looks like hot lights, go with the Alienbess your in America and they have lots of people using them very successfully. You can also upgrade them as you need to and add as when as your requirements grow as well. If I was in the USA I would have gone with the Alien Bees instead of the more expensive Bowens setup I purchased.

Alien Bees also has a good tech support as well with problems or questions you might have.

Re: Studio Light from eBAY

I borrowed a light kit made by these guys a few months ago. They make good stuff for the price, but I think you'll find that the lights just aren't bright enough. I started out with to Amvona soft boxes with 1000 watt bulbs, and even these made DOF control a little bit of a problem. I new have the Alien Bees and they work great.

You will spend more to get the same sort of setup that you're looking at, but if the cheaper set won't do the job, it doesn't really matter how much you saved... Keep looking on Ebay, that's how I've bought most of my new equipment. The deals are there if you are patient.

Smile Re: Studio Light from eBAY

Thanks for your input...I think I ma going to purchase the Alien Bees...I'm sure I will be back (once I receeive them) to ask more questions. Again, thanks so much...Angie

Thread Information