Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

studio flash w/canon digital rebel?

hi, can you run studio strobes from one of those hotshoe adapters on a canon digital rebel while controlling the aperture/shutter? Does the built-in flash interfere at all? Thanks!!!!

Aaron

Yes you can, you need to get a Wein Safe Sync Adaptor that fits into the Hotshoe and then you can safely use the studio stobes.

Another way is to use a flash on the hot shoe, turn the flash down to it's lowest setting and point it towards the studio flash which should then trigger the studio flash as long as it has a photocell built into it.

You can also use Pocket Wizards to set off the studio flash.

Remeber when using Studio Flash, you need to set the aperture/shutter speed in manual mode as well.

The built-in flash shouldn't come into play at all when doing it this way.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the double post. I don't usually do that, but needed to make a decision within a couple hours. I figured there were knowledgable people in both forums but it was a crap shoot as to which would be read/replied to first. Thanks again.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Yes you can, you need to get a Wein Safe Sync Adaptor that fits into the Hotshoe and then you can safely use the studio stobes.

Another way is to use a flash on the hot shoe, turn the flash down to it's lowest setting and point it towards the studio flash which should then trigger the studio flash as long as it has a photocell built into it.

You can also use Pocket Wizards to set off the studio flash.

Remeber when using Studio Flash, you need to set the aperture/shutter speed in manual mode as well.

The built-in flash shouldn't come into play at all when doing it this way.

Alien Bees

FYI - I have a digital Rebel and I use Alien Bees. Prior to purchase, I asked them about using their strobes with a hotshoe adapter (which I also bought from them) and the possibility of frying my camera. They said it was no problem and that I didn't need the Wein safe hot shoe thingie.

And now people are getting their cameras fixed as they burnout shutter contacts because they didn't know their cameras safe sync Voltage is only 6V and Stobes are over that.

If you want to be safe with the camera and not damage it, which isn't covered by warranty, then a Wein Safe Sync Hot Shoe Adapter is a good safety net.

Why do you think the New Canon 20D has a Safe Sync Voltage of 250V on it's specs, for this exact problem that developed due to the low SSV of the digital cameras.

I for one, want to protect my camera and will use the Wein SS adaptor on mine.

What you do digidurst is up to you, but others should be made aware of this known problem.

Please clarify

Gee Peter, I didn't mean to make anyone mad or anything like that. I was just relating what I was told by Alien Bee.

Are you telling me that they are wrong? Please let me know as obviously, I don't want to fry my camera.

I have seen reported that the Alien Bees Sync Voltage isn't 6V but higher (I just revisted the Alien Bees site and it says that it is, but not having one to check will just leave it at that) check out the lighting forum at dpreview.com as well as there are many people there using the Alien Bees as well. Given that, I would suggest that anyone using a Canon Camera with a Safe Sync Voltage maximum of 6V, buy a Wein Safe Sync Voltage device either for the PC sync connector or Hot Shoe as a must and use that, totally as a safety net. By the way I don't work for Wein at all, to get it sent to me here, cost all up was $82 Australian as they don't seem to be available here.

Damage to my camera is paramount as a safety issue, certainly I couldn't afford to replace it or have it repaired for the sake of $50US device. I am on a very limited income and buy things as I can.

Digidurst, you didn't make me made, but it concerns me just a bit to read things that might miss represent what is correct.

I have read a lot about different lighting Stobes and am in the process as others go through, deciding what I might get, subject to budget and best bang for bucks given the import warranty issues etc and what is available here in Australia, which aren't many, and cost a lot compared to other places in the World. I certainly would get Alien Bees if they weren't so far away for warranty issues and costs involved with that. They have always been very helpful when I have contacted them, but it does come down to Sales doesn't it, not that that is what they were doing, but a Sale is a Sale. Ask them about problems with their sync cords and connections into cameras being a little iffy, see what their reply to that is.

So for me it is Hensel, Bowen, Elinchrom, Prolinca, Profoto, and then Chinese/Tiwan imports mostly as a choice. I'm thinking about Elinchrom and Bowen at present, but the Elinchrom does have an edge with recycle time and flash duration over the Bowen and Hensel. Profoto is just too expensive for my intended use.

Please take on board what I have said, I don't make comments lightly, but do try and research things before make a purchase.

Thread Information