Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Smile Studio for Product Photography Q's... HELP!!!!!!

Hello there!

Thank the Lord, I found this forum!!

I'm a junior marketing manager for a small giftware company in Victora, Australia, i started at the company maybe 6 months ago, upon starting I noticed the photos that we were using for our catalogues weren't the best, they were done in house and didn't look professional AT ALL! not even close...

ANYWAY, i was hoping that someone / everyone could give me some assistance!

Firstly, after PLEADING with the managing director, he said i could go out and buy a roll of white paper and some lights, so below *should* be a picture of our current setup...

.... does anyone have any suggestions after seeing this image? I have some white acrilyc board which i bought and use to diffuse the light aswell.

Secondly, the "IT guy" at my workplace keeps telling me that we need some solid black acrilyc sheeting for taking shots of Glass and Stainless Steel cookware. I've seen the photos he's getting the idea for this from, and i don't like them. Does anyone have any suggestions for taking photos of glass and stainless steel saucepans with my current setup? I can maybe squeeze another $150 out of my boss so any small things i could probably get...

Thridly, i thought to further demonstate my abilites (which are far from professional!) and what i'm getting with the setup, i have attached a couple more photos...

hope i did the links right...

the materials of the products i need to take photos are the following:
    Porcelain
    Glass Vases and Wine GLasses ( coloured and clear),
    Stainless Steel Cookware,
    Blenders,
    Plastic,
    Bone China,
    woodware (bamboo)
    any assistance with the above would be REALLY appreciated!

Anyway.. any input would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!

I'm really happy in this job and i would really like to impress my boss so that he listens to what i have to say more. I would be extremly grateful if anyone can help me....

i don't think this will be the last post from me.... i'm going to need alot of help, and i hope that you all will be able to help me. Conversely, i hope that with the help that is given to me i can *someday* help another newbie on this forum!

Thanks HEEEEAPS and in advance!
    speedbo

I don't do product work so I'm no expert but I would try to use something to diffuse the light. Your larger camera stores should have sheets of diffusion material or even go to a home improvement store and use those frosted ceiling panels. Put them between the light and what your shooting and it should soften the light and reduce the specular highlights that seem to be distracting on your shots. Otherwise you are really taking very nice pictures with your homemade setup. It goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune to take great pictures. Hope this helps.

Thread Information