Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Studio on a budget

Not exactly a studio but a really small budget I would say. I just wanted to share what can be done in the daylight hours with just window light and a reflector.

I bought a 5 in 1 reflector from ebay for £15 including postage.
    Armed with my EOS 350D and my 50mm 1.8 MKII lens, my 14 year old daughter lay on our couch. So I took the opportunity to use her as a guinnea pig.

My lighting? My kitchen window, 12-15ft away, shining through my lounge door. My silver reflector in front of Becky but to her left. No flash used.

Ignore her collar, I know it's a distraction. The point of the exercise was to see what results I could get from the least equipment and at the least cost.

I hope this proves to people, just starting out, that they don't need all the fancy shmancy equipment until they have made the money to purchase it. I wish someone had shown me this sort of thing a year ago. I may not have two tungstens and brollies gathering dust on top of my wardrobe! :mad2:

Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Re: Studio on a budget

I agree with you Alison,,,one doesn't need a multitude of lights (and huge bank balance) to achieve wonderful portraits...Window light and reflectors are cheap and easy to use and controllable..

BTW,,sell your tungstens but keep the brollies...

Alison,,check out my thoughts here in this thread

Newby-Needing Suggestions Please!!!!!!

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Studio on a budget

Alison, there's an article on this in the latest EOS magazine I thought of you when I read it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information