Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

spotlighting question

I have a britek 2500 3 light setup kit with white shoot through umbrellas I have a barndoor that they sent with my set but it don't fit none of my lights. I have a snoot and honeycomb. I want to be able to do the spotlight on the face portrait or just light one shoulder and side of face or pregnancy shots where there is lighting on one spot of the picture, but I am afraid to even try it. Everytime I turn out all of my lights but one I still get bright light on the picture. I tried pointing one light at the face and guess what it light the whole body. how do I do this pleaseeeeeeeeeeee can someone help me??

Thanks

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: spotlighting question

Quote Originally Posted by jhousman6
    I tried pointing one light at the face and guess what it light the whole body. how do I do this pleaseeeeeeeeeeee can someone help me??
    Hi Julia, We meet again (see my reply to your question in Help)...

First of all, any snoot or grid that is used on a light unit has to have some modifying effect on it. It has to. Now, depending on the size of the snoot or grid, it's effect may be small. If you know this and you want a more dramatic effect, you may have to help the equipment along some by using other methods.

So, say you point the light by itself at a wall and shoot. You then see how much coverage the light gives. Now place the snoot or the grid (or both) on the light and do it again. There has to be a difference. If nothing else, the spread of the light pattern has to be smaller.

Sometimes moving the light closer or further away helps create the effect you want.

Anyway, to deal with your problem, one way to confine the light pattern (which is really what a spot is) is to get black cinefoil or flexible cardboard and simply create your own homemade snoot and tape it to the light. The trick is to make sure there are no light leaks or spills to the sides. The width or shape of the snoot will determine the light coverage on your subject. You'll need to experiment and see the results.

BTW, homemade (or commercial) light panels also help block unwanted light from hitting your subject. If you place these panels (with black fabric) on either side of your light, you can create a fairly small slit that may give the same effect as a spot...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

hello again and once again thank you so much for your time and info it helps a whole lot, I am going to try this once it warms up a little. I have been able to do just regular portraits but nothing special with light as I don't know how and any help is GREATLY appreciated So very very much..

THANKS A MILLION

any tutorial on the black material you mentioned and how to make it myself?

Thanks

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhousman6
    any tutorial on the black material you mentioned and how to make it myself?...
    Yeah, I probably should just go ahead and write one, heh heh. Both Calumet and B&H have a selection of light panels. I don't think you should buy one, but rather take a look at how they're made.

The panels are simply PVC tubing glued (or stuck) together to form a large square or rectangle. Any kind of fabric can be attached to them, either with velcro or by using clamps or tape.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information