Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Softbox compatibility

I'm working with a pair of Alien Bees B400 strobes and we're looking to get a medium sized softbox for them. The Alien Bees brand softbox is over $100, so would other brands possibly be able work. Is the mount fairly universal, or is it pretty brand specific? Thanks for any help you can offer.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Mix and match, baby...

Quote Originally Posted by WCpilot
    I'm working with a pair of Alien Bees B400 strobes and we're looking to get a medium sized softbox for them...
    WC, there's no reason your lights and softboxes need to be from the same manufacturer. Many light modification product companies don't even make lights. Not only that, but they want their lines to be compatible with as many lights as possible. They do this by offering adapter rings...

So, find the softboxes that fit your budget, then be sure they offer an adaptor ring that will allow it to connect to the AB B400.

Now, keep in mind this ring often adds a bit to the price. If it's too pricey, the total cost may end being close to what AB wanted for they own boxes with an adaptor ring! And the quality may not be as good.

So, do your homework before you buy...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Softbox compatibility

Thanks Steve. We looked into it a bit and I think we're going to go with the AB softbox. The quality for the price seems to work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by WCpilot
    I'm working with a pair of Alien Bees B400 strobes and we're looking to get a medium sized softbox for them. The Alien Bees brand softbox is over $100, so would other brands possibly be able work. Is the mount fairly universal, or is it pretty brand specific? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    If you look on ebay, you might find a medium octodome type softbox sold by amvona. These are copies of what photoflex makes but they usually go pretty cheap. Also if you look in the clearance section of B&H you might find something there or in the used section. You will need a speed ring to attach your Alien Bee and softbox together.

Another alternative is to use a shoot through umbrella which is considered a poor man's soft box.

Hope this helps,

Jason

I actually got them to go for the AB softbox. I've done two headshot sessions with it, and it is easily worth every penny. But thanks for all the tips. They'll be useful when I need to invest in my own gear!

Thread Information