Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Skyport and 580 ex ii help please..

hi i recently purchased a skyport package

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

there is the link.. how do i get this to work with my 580 ex ii flash... i have no sync cables ect but not sure what to buy

please help

Re: Skyport and 580 ex ii help please..

The Elinchrom Skyport remote system is a very nice radio slave system BUT it is dedicated to Elinchrom RX strobes ONLY. It says this first thing in the description on the B&H site. I don't believe there's any way to make it work with the 580ex because the receiver needs to draw power from somewhere - normally that would be an RX light, the 580ex has no means to power the Skyport. Do you have Elinchrom Strobes?
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

no i dont im pretty sure you can use it.. doesnt it use those flat batteries.. i heard of people using it on 580 ex ii for portable reasons.. thought i just had a sync cable problem

I am about 90% sure you can use the Elinchrom radio slaves with other strobes. I remember talking to them about it at a tradeshow when they introduced them. I don't remember how you connect them to the the flash. But looking at the photo on the B&H page it looks like the PocketWizards - you need a hot shoe accessory with a sync outlet to mount the flash on. That may not be the case. I sure hope not. Because that's one of the lamest things about the old PocketWizards.

Is there a customer service phone number anywhere in the manual? They're distributed in the US (assuming you're in the US) by Bogen. I would try contacting them to see if they can tell you what to do. Also, if there's a pro camera shop in your area, they'll probably be able to help - especially if they're an Elinchrom dealer.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

thank you both for your replies.. ill go to a shop tomorrow and ask.. hope fully there is an inexpensive way to do it.. thanx again

It's possible I'm wrong, but it says under features on the B&H site "The Elinchrom EL-Skyport Computer Remote/Trigger Radio Slave System is an ultra-compact, complete, wireless radio slave system that is dedicated to the line of Elinchrom RX packs and heads only" - the "only" stood out to me but it wouldn't be the first time that B&H was wrong, not that they screw up often, they just have A LOT of stuff in their catalog...

I don't own these myself but I have been researching them lately, that's why I chimed in. Call B&H or a local pro shop and ask them. If the person you're talking to doesn't sound like they are familiar with ELinchroms ask to speak to someone else. You need to talk to someone who's used the product. Also - Calumet deals Elinchrom monolights and Skyports so you could also call them.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

i think kafin8ed is right.. i looked on the elinchrom website you get 2 kinds of recievers the RX ones and the universal ones and i have the RX ones.. will go to the shop to day maybe i can sell the RX's and buy the universal. ill get any info i can.. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dearcharlie
    i think kafin8ed is right.. i looked on the elinchrom website you get 2 kinds of recievers the RX ones and the universal ones and i have the RX ones.. will go to the shop to day maybe i can sell the RX's and buy the universal. ill get any info i can.. thank you
    Two versions would explain why I was pretty sure you could use them with any flash.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information