Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: single flash

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

single flash

I ran into a big problem a the Autisport show, the drivers were doing autograph signings at a desk which had a glass top.
    How would you cope with that, given that it's a public event and the drivers are signing for the fans rather than having a photo call for the press?

Getting close works of course, so that the flash doesn't illuminate the desktop and you don't get weird reflections and shadows in the background.

I tried just one experiement with bounce flash off the wall behind, and extending the catchlight panel to give a little bit more diffuse light.
    Did it work?

More important though, what would you do with only a single flash in this situation?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails single flash-img_2650.jpg   single flash-img_2651.jpg   single flash-img_2398.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: single flash

No, I don't think t worked very well. The shadows are distracting, and the second shot is downright underexposed.

80 bucks gets you the off-camera shoe cord. You hold the flash wherever you need it. Having a sto-fen on it also helps. Just hold the flash above the camera or to the side that you want, and orient the body whichever way works best.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: single flash

Flash cord means I'm going to run out of hands. I can just manage the 1D and 24-70 one handed, so perhaps some weights work to toughen up that right arm !

Sto-Fen diffuses the light, which is great for softening the shadows I agree.

But since the scattered light is going to come back off the glass tabletop, now from a wider angle than the flash's zoom, which already (unhelpfully, thanks Canon) zooms out when it goes off-body - how am I going to deal with the glass reflections?

I guess the only answer there is to get closer, with the camera and the flash.
    A friend bought the sto-fen a few weeks ago, I'll try to borrow it and see how it helps.

Interesting there was about a 50-50 split of diffusers vs naked flash. Couple of guys working for LAT one Nikon, one Canon - no diffuser. Freelancer working for Kart (go-kart not the US KART) was using diffuser. No-one, not one photographer at the show, was using off-camera flash.

Since it's either a trade show, or a public show (depending on which day) it's hard to get in to get a shot and set up lighting with all the people about.
    I've got to find something simple as a solution which will work reliably, is portable, and isn't restricting in the angles I shoot from.
    I thought of a simple L-bracket, but that only puts the shadows lower and farther right (or left) which doesn't necessarily work with the wall so close behind - and it restricts me to shooting from one side or the other. As does holding the flash in the other hand I suppose.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information