Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Simple but classic two-light portraits...

I always enjoy showing that you don't need a ton o' gear to create good studio shots, even classic portraits. Hopefully this will encourage you guys just starting out with a couple of Alien Bees or something similar. No excuses if you think it through first!

I recently had a couple of music-related magazine assignments, which I love to do. This is one of them, shot for Lake & Sumter Style Magazine's 08 Fall Arts Issue. It's a portrait of a local jazz musician named Paul Luciano.

I say local, but like many in this area, he's actually retired after a fairly remarkable career playing in bands all around the country, most notable a stint in Guy Lombardo's touring band. A fascinating man and gifted musician...

Shot at his home, I knew exactly the image I wanted to create. An older gentleman with a great deal of character, I knew a dramatic side-lit shot would work, and I knew I could pull it off using just two lights. After finding some beautiful deep red curtains in one of the rooms that made the perfect bg, I set up.

Looking at the lighting diagram below, you can see the medium soft box to the camera-right side is the key. Having Paul's right side (camera left) in complete shadow was an option, but it would mean his right hand and most of his saxophone would go dark. It would definitely get lost on his dark suit.

I though it would be better to bring out just a hint of detail, especially in the gold of the instrument. So I placed a large white panel to his right to reflect a bit of the key back onto him and open up that dark area just a little.

Now the spread of the key did light the bg some, enough so I knew I wouldn't need a seperate light on the drapes. In fact, it was so much that I decided to set up a black scrim (light panel) on the right behind the softbox to keep the bg darker and moodier.

Still, I wanted to make sure there was a little more seperation of Paul from the bg. The easiest way to do that without throwing light all over the place, and adding some classic style at the same time was to aim a gridded spot high behind him down onto his head and back.

I didn't want the accent light to compete for attention with the key, so I powered it a stop or so lower, and that did the trick, creating a very delicate rim effect.

As for the two images of Paul you see here, the one on the left gives you a wider view closer to full-frame. It's the way I shot all the frames to give me some cropping options.

The image on the right is the finished crop.

The final shot has some post-production editing in photoshop to clean everything up as well as add a muted but saturated color palette to give it a smokey jazz lounge feel.

BTW, the crop and composition was done keeping in mind this was for magazine publication, meaning I left negative space for type and possible banner graphics should they decide to use it on the cover. I also knew the their art department could smooth out any tonal "bumps" in the bg or cover those areas up if they wanted to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simple but classic two-light portraits...-p-luciano-studio.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Btw...

The magazine liked the shot as much as I did. So much so, they did make it the cover... And, as you can see, they extended the bg curtains to cover the entire frame, and smoothed out the uneven tones as well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simple but classic two-light portraits...-ommp-lss-luciano.jpg  
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Simple but classic two-light portraits...

Nice shots Steve! Just as an addition to your post. You don't have to have ABs or other large monolights to get a portrait shot. This was done with a pair of Sunpak 383 hotshoe flashes. One on the left at full power through an umbrella, and one on the right bounced off of a reflective umbrella at 1/4 power. They were triggered with Elinchrom Skyport universal RF remotes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simple but classic two-light portraits...-dsc_4393_resize.jpg  
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Very nice shot & great explanation. I learned alot about the process of thinking through the set up and the effect. Thanks!

PS: Congrats on your shot making the cover.

Congratulations on the cover! And your willingness to teach is amazing. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Congrats on the cover Steve. And that is an AWESOME write up and diagram - thank you! If you hadn't mentioned the hairlight, I would never have known it was there at all. Very nicely executed.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Steve,

Congratulations. Very nice..... Also thank you for the explanation and work to teach what works.

Thank you.

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Congrats on the cover and very nice work. What I find heartwarming here is that they would give you the job AND make the cover even though you walk on all fours.
    Well done!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Great thread. Congrats on the cover, Steve. And thanks for sharing the details.

Love the photo.

Thread Information