Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Shadows

Shadows

This is my first post and a little background might be in order. I've been taking photos of North American fishes for a couple of years for purposes of identification. I'm at the point now that I'd like to get rid of the shadows. I currently sample the fishes and place them inside of a small tank at the waters edge. I use a small plate to position the fish and start taking photos. I have ideas about using a diffuser and reflector combination but I'm not sure where to start. I'd love any suggestions you might have. If this topic is in the wrong sub forum mods, please feel free to place in the appropriate location.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Shadows

Maybe it needs to go in the lighting forum ?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

You might try a darker background maybe gray or black.

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

Unfortunately black and gray backgrounds hide pigmentation in the fins of many fish . I do have black and gray backgrounds but they can only be used for "fun" photos and not the usual identification photos.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

So you're shooting natural light in a small tank at waters edge? Maybe a difuser held over the tank in the direction of the sun. I bought a 42 inch 5 in one circular reflector with a boom light stand from B&H poto a few years back for less than $100 bucks. You will need some type of sandbag to anchor it, especially outside.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

You need a large light source up close so the light will wrap around the fish and minimize the shadows.

As you can see from the shadow the light is from above and there is no fill light from below to reduce the shadow. Try holding a large white poster board below the fish and adjust the angle until the shadow goes away. If it doesn't try the next paragraph.

A couple of off camera flashes would work, one above and one below. Use a large diffuser to spread the light around. Or a ring flash would work too if you can find one that fits your budget.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thanks greatly for your advice. I wanted to head the diffuser and reflector direction but was unsure if this was the right path. If a reflector alone is not sufficient I will consider flash but I'll admit this can be problematic in remote locations.

Speaking of remote locations, any advise for reflectors and diffusers that I can stuff in a back pack? I would expect them to see rather harsh travel conditions.

So you're shooting natural light in a small tank at waters edge?
    Yes. The fishes are then immediately returned to the water from which they came, unharmed.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Take a clear piece of plastic, put the fish on top of it, and put bricks or something under the edges of the plastic to hold it up, and that could also get rid of the shadows. I just did that at my product photography job, and its gettin some great shadowless results
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

The fishes are inside a small aquarium that is filled with water. This is important for accurate measurements and distinguishing characteristics (fins must be erect for proper counts). I've not been able to get fins erected on fishes out of water without killing the specimen first.

Thread Information