Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

searching for a backdrop stand and backdrops

Hi All, this is my first post and i am considering buying a backdrop stand and a couple of backdrops, i was thinking of a white muslin of 8ft x 16ft and a black 1 of the same size. these are for home portrait shots, my question is are they of adequate size and is the colour choice ok, also i am in the uk and dont really know any good suppliers.my lighting is a portaflash system and canon 450d.
    your help would be much appreciated.
    cheers
    Rob

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: searching for a backdrop stand and backdrops

Welcome to the site, Rob, Sir Dad of Brad. Yes, the size and color choice is ok for a start. I would imagine you should be able to find the material fairly cheap. So cheap, in fact, you may consider going a bit wider. Especially if you intend to shoot groups of people.

One thing to keep in mind is that muslin wrinkles very easily. That's not always a bad thing, but you may find that a small portable garment or fabric steamer is a handy item to have...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Cheers Steve, is there a better alternative to muslin a cloth that wont crease easily, i dont want to use paper as i dont have the storage.
    thanks
    Rob

Sure. Just like with clothing, most synthetics will not wrinkle nearly as much as cotton. Something like a polyester. Or maybe a blend...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Hi. i'm sorry if i'm too late to get in on this however i had an experience today after days of looking on the internet for muslin. i walked into joan fabrics and found a 10'x20' black muslin for $56 however I had a 40% off coupon that they have in their adds almost every week. then i found another coupon on my way out of the store. I walked out of their with 2 10'x20' one blue and one black for $66. That my friends is a great deal. now if you have a joan fabrics near you I would go their. I would not worry your self about getting high thread count it's not all the internet stores say it is. you can fold the 10'x20' in half and have just as thick of a backdrop as the $100 muslin. My cousin uses just regular cotton backdrops like sheets lol and gets fantastic pictures out of it. This muslin I picked up is way better materail than his so im expecting to be very happy. I sure hope this helps some one.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of jo-ann's as well. IMO, there's no reason to pay specialty-store prices for solid color fabrics...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think this UK suppliers will be fit for you!http://www.lincostore.com/?Fs=fpProd...&Type=1&Page=1

Thread Information