Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question about adequate background.

I was asked to shoot a dancer for images she would like to use for promotion. These will be more than headshots but most likely poses of 3/4 length and full as well. they would be shot while she is going through dance moves and poses.
    I was considering having her book a few hours in a dance rehearsal studio where she gives instruction and rehearsals. It would be plenty of room in wide open area.
    The issue would be a background.
    I considered getting a portable system that would give me 10Ft height and 12 ft width. I would use lets say a dark gray muslin size 12x24ft so there would be about 12x 10ft behind her and approx. 12 x 12ft on the floor to stand and move around on.
    Is this going to be adequate to allow me to get full body shots?
    Any other suggestions? It would have to be portable or perhaps renting a studio by the hour that was equipped with such provisions, but I do not know if there are any of those availbale or common.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Question about adequate background.

You can always go wide angle in shallow rooms if need be. I personally don't like to shoot full figure or 3/4 shots with anything less than 35 mm focal length, anything wider and you could elongate legs, arms etc and make the body seem out of proportion.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    You can always go wide angle in shallow rooms if need be. I personally don't like to shoot full figure or 3/4 shots with anything less than 35 mm focal length, anything wider and you could elongate legs, arms etc and make the body seem out of proportion.
    Mike, the room should be adequate size for me to stand back enough and go at it with 70-100mm or so. I am only concerned about the size of the back drop system I would be using. I think the 10 or 12ftx 24ft muslin should be enough to cover the bg at full body angles?

gary

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I use 10 x 20 and 9 x 16' and have no problem getting full body. Just watch the lines of your subject, if you get her posed perpendicular to you with arms out, you may be close to the edges. Arms extended diagonally will help quite a bit. I'll try and post and example or two if I get the chance to check my external drive later this morning.

Good luck with it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I use 10 x 20 and 9 x 16' and have no problem getting full body. Just watch the lines of your subject, if you get her posed perpendicular to you with arms out, you may be close to the edges. Arms extended diagonally will help quite a bit. I'll try and post and example or two if I get the chance to check my external drive later this morning.

Good luck with it.
    Good, thanks.

Another concern would be my lights. I will use the 580EX ll with a 60" bounce umbrella as key and a 580EX ll on camera bracket diffused as fill. Should I place the 420EX with 40" bounce umbrella above and just behind her for the bg and top of the hair?
    Does this sound to be a decent plan?

gary

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Sorry about the lack of post Gary, I left my drive at work today and forgot all about it. I tend to use the flash in a softbox for the hair light if it isn't snooted or a gridded studio light. I want to keep the light behind where I want it and stop it from spilling or wrapping into the front of the subject and or the camera. While obviously being soft, the boxes are just a little more directional than an umbrella.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Sorry about the lack of post Gary, I left my drive at work today and forgot all about it. I tend to use the flash in a softbox for the hair light if it isn't snooted or a gridded studio light. I want to keep the light behind where I want it and stop it from spilling or wrapping into the front of the subject and or the camera. While obviously being soft, the boxes are just a little more directional than an umbrella.
    Good point on the umbrella. I could snoot it but i'm afraid with her moving about and posing she will be going in and out of the line of fire from the snoot.
    hmm, maybe the small 12x16" photoflex hotshoe flash softbox would be good for this. . .

gary

Thread Information