Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    R-V

Posing Old Brothers for Portrait

I am starting to shoot more studio (at home) portraits mainly of family. I do good on all but posing. I have been looking for resources on posing and have purchase a couple of books. But books tend to deal with a single subject. I need information on posing multiple subjects of different ages. If anyone could point me towards any resources that give examples or directions would be appreciated.

My dad has requested I make portraits of our family. One portrait will consist of my dad and his brother 76 and 74 years old. How do you pose two old brothers together? Suggestion Please.

Thanks Russell

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Posing Old Brothers for Portrait

Quote Originally Posted by R-V
    One portrait will consist of my dad and his brother 76 and 74 years old. How do you pose two old brothers together? Suggestion Please...
    Welcome to the forum and the site, Russell...

I would suggest a fairly tight shot of them close together (maybe one arm around each other). Regardless of their actual realtionship over the years, they are family and have a lifelong bond together, and the closeness of the pose will emphasize that.

At that age with men, there's no real need to try anything too cosmetic (as in hiding wrinkles, etc.). You want to capture their character, so sharpness and even slightly directional lighting is not your enemy...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information