Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Pocketwizards

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Pocketwizards

Ordered myself up some pocketwizards about two weeks ago. Barely tested em out and decided what the hay I'm gonna use them for the wedding I shot on Saturday. Had one hooked up to a 550ex and another one hooked up to a Vivtar 285 flash I have.

Did portraits of the bride, groom, and wedding party at the state capitol here in Minnesota (he's a state rep) and goll darn't I think I had a little success. Sure there were some funky shadows on some stuff but overall I think the effect works.

I put the 550 on the little plastic stand it came with (bounced for fill) and put the Vivitar in the hands of my assistant to run around and crank it up off the ceiling. Used the 20D for figuring out the exposure.

Not the smartest thing to do, bringing something new to a paying gig, but well I'm not the smartest guy ever

by the way PocketWizards rock :thumbsup:

Re: Pocketwizards

BW, that is pretty cool. Been thinking about the nikon wireless flash system and it is nice to see results like this with similar set ups. Thanks for posting!

Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    BW, that is pretty cool. Been thinking about the nikon wireless flash system and it is nice to see results like this with similar set ups. Thanks for posting!

Wes
    Thanks Wes. The stuff I've seen Photo John and other create really got me motivated to pick them up. I picked up a set of Pocket Wizard Pluses and figured for the most part I'd just bounce off the ceiling but then picked up one more of the Plus II to add some fill to get rid of any racoon eye shots I might end up with.

I'm really looking forward to using these for some sunset cycling shots. Get a nice sunset in the background, use a remote flash to light up the rider and be a few hundred yards away with a big lens...Mmmmmm

oh yeah, a nice long lense makes for a very nice picture and a happy photographer. I was thinking to use that same sort of set up for outdoor portraits for fill and an on-camera flash is just too limiting. definately in my future!
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Nice shot BW!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Nice shot BW!
    Thanks Sebastian! Now just gotta find some time to go practise with them.

This is a great photo. Glad to see you're putting those things to good, creative use. Rulebreakers rule!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It's not the lens... It's the vision... fdpiech's Avatar

Nod... I just LOVE my Pocket Wizards. It's so nice to move around the studio without being tied down.

Now the image... very interesting choice of composition... I like it... :thumbsup:
    Frank "Peach" Piechorowski
    -----------------------------------
    Bluff City Galleries
    The Memphis Photographer
    The Factice Studies

VERY nice image. My flashmeter has a transmitter that works with Pocket Wizards, I might check them out someday.

Thread Information