Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    GB1

Lightbulb Need some advice on supplemental lighting

Hi - Planning on doing a shoot of a model who is looking to update her portfolio. I found an interesting parking lot with rustic looking walls, some graffiti, etc. for a 'contrast' shot of her to pose in front of in fashionable clothing. We'll have to do this location early morning on a weekend to avoid crowds.

However, there's very little light in this location. I'll need to use some type of supplemental lighting (reflectors won't be adequate IMO) to light the model in a pleasant way against the wall, but only have normal flash attachments.

Here's some pix of the location. I need some advice on what might be good here. I doubt I can count on power outlets there, but if I know what I need I can probably rent it here in San Diego.

Thanks - GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on supplemental lighting-dsc_3544_px640.jpg   Need some advice on supplemental lighting-dsc_3546_px640.jpg   Need some advice on supplemental lighting-_dsc3553_px640.jpg   Need some advice on supplemental lighting-dsc_3550_px640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Need some advice on supplemental lighting

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I'll need to use some type of supplemental lighting...to light the model in a pleasant way against the wall...
    GB, looks like you definitely have some interesting possibilities here, but looking at the scene, pleasant isn't a word that comes to mind. Might be a challenge trying to capture that vibe...

Normally I cringe at brick as the bg in a fashion shoot (very small town catalogue), but what you show really isn't rustic, but closer to degraded industrial, and that I do like.

And so, without knowing your wardrobe, I'd recommend either going with the flow, as in a punk/rocker/glam/biker/trash (leather, denim) kind of thing, or totally against it to set up a contrast, such as a stylish evening or designer look.

Anything in the middle will only look so-so...

As for lighting, any typical studio set up will also work on location. That means flash with softbox or umbrella, one light for drama or several for a softer ratio. Using the lack of available light by darkening the bg will heighten the effect.

Putting your model up near the wall with a large softbox directly behind you aiming forward will give a cool ring flash effect.

This is also a good spot to try some flash & blur. You should be able to get good results even with a hand held flash.

Two variations would be to keep the camera still (tripod), use a slow shutter speed, and have your model move. This will keep the bg sharp, and popping the flash on your model will create the slight blur. Or move your camera, and the entire scene will blur, the flash again freezing your model.

As I mentioned at the top. these are not setups to get pleasant results, but they do fit the location...

BTW, don't be afraid to get up near the wall yourself, maybe tight shooting at an angle looking down the wall with the light from the side.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    GB, looks like you definitely have some interesting possibilities here, but looking at the scene, pleasant isn't a word that comes to mind. Might be a challenge trying to capture that vibe...

Normally I cringe at brick as the bg in a fashion shoot (very small town catalogue), but what you show really isn't rustic, but closer to degraded industrial, and that I do like.

And so, without knowing your wardrobe, I'd recommend either going with the flow, as in a punk/rocker/glam/biker/trash (leather, denim) kind of thing, or totally against it to set up a contrast, such as a stylish evening or designer look.

Anything in the middle will only look so-so...

As for lighting, any typical studio set up will also work on location. That means flash with softbox or umbrella, one light for drama or several for a softer ratio. Using the lack of available light by darkening the bg will heighten the effect.

Putting your model up near the wall with a large softbox directly behind you aiming forward will give a cool ring flash effect.

This is also a good spot to try some flash & blur. You should be able to get good results even with a hand held flash.

Two variations would be to keep the camera still (tripod), use a slow shutter speed, and have your model move. This will keep the bg sharp, and popping the flash on your model will create the slight blur. Or move your camera, and the entire scene will blur, the flash again freezing your model.

As I mentioned at the top. these are not setups to get pleasant results, but they do fit the location...

BTW, don't be afraid to get up near the wall yourself, maybe tight shooting at an angle looking down the wall with the light from the side.
    Steve - Thanks for the info. She wants a portfolio with some stuff that isn't too Southern California, meaning shots of her standing next to the ocean, next to flowers, etc. The dirty alley was her idea actually. I think she wants to do the stylish look against it.

I'm guessing it that it will be a single softbox flash. What's a "ring flash effect"? Your idea on flash blur is good - I've seen a few effects with that, where the flash fires at the end of the exposure. Can really look neat.

All your ideas are excellent here - I will make note of them and try them all. :thumbsup:

GB

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    What's a "ring flash effect"?...
    Check out my shots of model Mai Linh on this page from my ezine:

http://www.photoasylum.com/e_fall-fash4.html

The flash literally wraps around the lens, so the light wraps around the subject. There are soft shadows, but they also wrap around the edges of the subject.

A large softbox directly behind the photographer pointing towards the subject gives a pretty similar effect...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Sounds like fun Steve, when you coming back down to MIA to shoot and let me assist for you?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Funny you should ask...

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Sounds like fun Steve, when you coming back down to MIA to shoot and let me assist for you?
    Michael, I am heading down that way soon. Too soon to confirm, but looks like a weekend at the end of February, and maybe (fingers crossed) a week in March.

BTW, I thought it was your minions, er...I mean students that might work out as assistants. When did you move yourself up the queue???

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Actually, they are available. They're just like self transporting light stands and sand bags. Not bad at carrying stuff either.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

You might try just using your speedlights on a stand and maybe an umbrella. I have had good results with that in the past under similar conditions. Check out the strobist site if you haven't already for a few more ideas.

GB1

Brhitch - Thanks, but what's the strobist site? I didn't see a forum here by that name, just this lighting one. Maybe I'll bring my studio lighting umbrella and hope it doesn't attract too much attention. Gawkers are one thing but I've been in situations where owners or employees of owners come by and freak out, tell you you can't do this here. One thing I've learned in photography though is that if you play by the rules you'll not get the good shots

G

My Site

GB, the strobist site is strobist.blogspot.com There is also a strobist group on flickr. I know what you mean about attracting attention. I've had several gawkers and ran into several irrate people working as a photojournalist. People can be a little edgy sometimes at fires, wrecks, etc. Good luck with your shoot.

Thread Information