Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Need Help Choosing Lighting

I'm currently shooting people and plants and sometimes people with plants.

When I shoot under the High Pressure Sodium lights that the plants are growing under, no matter what I do, the end results are terrible.

With Flash, the closer items get washed out.
    Without Flash, the light spectrum weirds out and causes the photos to be dark, as if there was no light at all.
    Shooting with the Tungsten setting doesn't even work, makes everything have a yellow haze to it.

Therefore it is my belief that I need to turn off the High Pressure Sodium lights altogether and disable flash and flood the area with photography lighting and shoot normal, no flash.

So I began my search at Samy's Camera and quickly found that if I am not a professional paparazzi, they treat you like an idiot and have absolutely no passion for helping the beginner who needs direction. So I am here trying to do the research myself.

What are my options? are there numerous different kinds of light technology?
    What is the best brand? What will get me by, without going overboard?
    How much should I expect to spend? Can I get a really nice kit for under $420?

I do not want to go the used or rented route as in my experience, I find that my chances of getting everyone organized for the shoot and the lights not working at last minute, are much higher than if i go with brand new equipment, brand name with warranty and support.

I would like a complete kit with carry box and nice sturdy stands, sturdy locks, folding pieces and accessories, easy to setup and break down, easy to move around, no cheap stuff that will only last a few times and/or break if i'm not a brain surgeon.

Thank you so very much for your valuable time and support!

Re: Need Help Choosing Lighting

You might post a couple of photos to show what you are trying to do. You grow the plants under sodium? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Your post is awesome! I can't figure out if it was serious or not but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Isn't photographing your "garden" going to get you in trouble? And are you sure the haze you're capturing is really a lighting phenomenon and not just floating around? I look forward to the fruits (...vegetables?) of your labor. LMAO

I am photographing plants growing under high pressure sodium lights. I THINK my best plan of action is to shut off the sodium lights and use photography lights, but I don't know what lights are best for me, there seem to be so many options.

I also want to be able to shoot nude models with this same light setup, would nude photography demand different lights or would one light setup be just as good for both plants and people?

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by 420; 01-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.

can someone please give me some advice?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 420
    can someone please give me some advice?

thanks!
    Some sample images of the plants and their lights would be helpful. Also, if you're planning to put together a lighting kit, I imagine you need to map out how complicated - or not - you want your set up to be. A bit of imagination (resourcefulness) can save you quite a few bucks.

Cheers,

can someone recommend another photography community that may have more people willing to help others?

Not sure if you quite understand. We are not sure what high sodium lights are so these kind people, who are very willing to help, asked if you would post some sample images. Sample images would give us a first hand look at what the problems are so we can help diagnose them and help figure your lighting system out for you. Don't have such a short fuse. Just post some images and everyone here will do their best to help. Some of these photographers on this site have helped hundreds maybe thousands of people, so take a deep breath and lets figure out your problem.:thumbsup:
    ----- M -----

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbraun13
    Not sure if you quite understand. We are not sure what high sodium lights are so these kind people, who are very willing to help, asked if you would post some sample images. Sample images would give us a first hand look at what the problems are so we can help diagnose them and help figure your lighting system out for you. Don't have such a short fuse. Just post some images and everyone here will do their best to help. Some of these photographers on this site have helped hundreds maybe thousands of people, so take a deep breath and lets figure out your problem.:thumbsup:

FYI, I looked up high sodium lights, but couldn't find useful information regarding photographic applications. Seems these are industrial lights. What colour cast do they give? What other problems do they present? Can you control them in any way? More Info is needed.

Also, your first post said that you were looking at lighting kits for models, which I imagine will present quite a different set up from plants/flowers, depending on what you are trying to achieve: e.g, If you were a food stylist/photog, your equipment and set up would be quite different from sports photography, kwim?

Ta,

I ended up going to the camera shop down the street and found a pro to help give me the introduction to lighting and purchased a light set and am all good to go, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 420
    I ended up going to the camera shop down the street and found a pro to help give me the introduction to lighting and purchased a light set and am all good to go, thanks guys!

lol of course he did ......

everyone here was trying to help you use the available lights you had ..... so you could get good results with them or without having to turn them off ....

go to a used car dealer and he will try to sell you a car ......
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Thread Information