Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

My Wife & Me- 1st Anniversary

Well my wife and I decided (Ok, I decided because I wanted to use my new strobes) that we're going to take pictures of us for each anniversary. Here are two shots from out little photoshoot. I wish I had gotten a picture of the setup, it was pretty fun to do in my small apartment. Lighting was Main on camera left about 4 feet away into an umbrella, Fill was camera right about 4 feet away as well also shooting into an umbrella.

I also ended up with my SB-800 on a stand behind us camera left as a hairlight. The background was actually a black bedsheet that I hung off of our china hutch a couple feet behind us, and I added in the background in PS. This was my first attempt using my strobes doing portraits of people. Comments or critique welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Wife & Me- 1st Anniversary-2006-08-13-005.jpg   My Wife & Me- 1st Anniversary-2006-08-13-039.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

The one - The only

Re: My Wife & Me- 1st Anniversary

Pretty girl! Congratulations on the anniversary! I think you did really well for a first time and self-portraits to boot! Job well done!

A little different than MTB photos huh? One nit pick I have is her hair in the shot with you. There is a small area between both of you in a clump of her hair that looks strange and "digital". It may be from the PS to the background though.

Great Shots!
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Hi jorgemonkey,,,,fine looking couple.....For your first attempt you did really well...

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Thanks!

Yes, that hair in the shot of both of us was from PSing the new background in. I was trying to get it done kinda quickly since I was trying to get it posted before I left for the day. I've got a version of the PSD saved before I started to clean up my cut & paste job, so I'm gonna go back and clean it up better. Also, I love using the wireless remote on my D70 for these shots. Its definatly different from MTB shots, and different from my product shots I do at work!
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Gorgeous portraits! Great lighting and ps work jorgemonkey

Excellent for your first try at portraiture. The couple shot is the best. One of the challenges of portraiture is getting the lighting perfect as well as the skin colouring. The first is a tad over-exposed. Pros who have a good critical eye and are aware of trends, procedures and methods, look carefully at the area around the eyes, de-emphasize some areas and emphasize others.

Ronnoco

Next time try a solid colored shirt as well. Stripes are fairly distracting....

you guys are cute!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information