Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Are my strobes working?

Hey all. I just bought the Opus M1002 lighting kit. I've got the m100SR strobes set up and working as slaves, but there's something strange going on. I press my shutter, my camera's onboard flash goes off (It's a K10D), and the strobes fire. I can clearly see it all happening properly. BUT no light from my strobes is getting into the photograph (only that tiny bit of my camera's onbard light). The strobe's timing is off, obviously. Through playing around, I found out how to make it work. I set my shutter to trip after a 2-second delay. This causes my camera to emit a preflash, and this somehow makes the strobes fire on time and show up nicely in the photos. It doesn't work with the 12-second delay or no-delay, only 2-second.

Is this normal? Is this how I have to do it?

(This kit came with zero instructions, which I think is a terrible, inexcusable thing)
    Last edited by Dubious Drewski; 03-14-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Re: Are my strobes working?

What shutter speed are you shooting at. I learned early with mine - I was shooting at 1/500 sec. that my strobes wouldn't always since with the camera. Need to shoot a slower shutter speed. Around 1/125. I was getting about 8 out of 10 shots that would sync, not saying I was getting full use out of my strobes, just might of been catching enough light to make the shot.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

I was shooting at 1/20. Hehe. I think I figured it out...maybe. It turns out it's not my internal flash that sets of the strobes on time, it's my Pentax 540 external, because it can fire manually.

So get this, I have to set my internal as the master, which sets off the external (which I guess I'll have to use as a fill for all of my shots), which then in turn sets off the strobes on time. Crazy eh?
    Last edited by Dubious Drewski; 03-14-2008 at 10:54 AM.

A good fix, if possible, would be to use a sync cable to get it right every time.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Yep, my solution...

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaAdam
    A good fix, if possible, would be to use a sync cable to get it right every time.
    Slaving external flashes to an internal camera one is (as you've found out) tricky business.

It's usually better not to use your camera flash when you're using external strobes, especially if the only reason is to trigger them.

Much better to sync one of the externals to the camera, then slave the other one off of that...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information