Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Post My first portrait session house call..

A friend of mine referred me to someone needing more photos for their portfolio. She also wanted me to take pictures of her son. There is nothing like taking pictures of someone willing to cooperate with you. There was none of that shy/awkward personality stuff. My goal was to keep learning and add variety to my work. Her goal was to add more photos of herself to her portfolio. For both parties, money was an issue. So this was a "pro bono".... I’ll scratch your back and you scratch mine kind of situation.

I hope that the pros (or anyone with more experience on this topic) in PR will share their opinions good or bad. I'd like to do a better job next time of course. I hope amateurs like myself will learn from my experience. What to do and what not to do.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

What's in the cart??

I realized that I was bringing a lot of gear to their home. They also said I would need to find street parking. I wasn't going to go back and forth for all my gear so I bought a dolly (and bungee cords). I needed one for the house anyway. I bought the cheapest one at Lowes. I'm looking for the dolly that folds and works like a stepping stool. I know it is out there somewhere.

So what did I bring? I won't list everything since I brought almost everything I had to be safe. Here is a list of things that pertains to the project:

Canon 30D with grip
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8
    1 GIG CF (and spare)
    2 batteries
    Stroboframe and Canon flash off-shoe cord
    Canon 430EX with lots of batteries
    Smith-Victor KT750 750W 3-Light Photoflood Kit
    2 4800K bulbs
    32" Photoflex Multidisc
    Calumet reflector stand
    Piano bench (it's adjustable and seats two)
    Step ladder (for extra shooting angles)
    Heavy Promaster Tripod with ball head
    Heavy duty powerstrip with 15 ft cord.

I forgot my one and only backdrop and spring clips. Fortunately, we used one of their bedsheets when I realized that the wood blinds weren't going to work. The background may have been filled with horizontal and vertical white lines. Covering it with the gray/green bedsheet really worked outs.

I'm really glad I got the dolly. It made things a snap to haul.
    Last edited by poker; 07-03-2006 at 10:05 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Lighting setup

Attached is a picture of the mess I made at their place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-setup1b.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Lighting setup (con't)

Here's a simple diagram for the shoot.

The covered balcony window was used for the background. The bedsheet made it work for us.

The uncovered balcony window gave us:
    • Hairlight
    • Reflected light with Photoflex disc.

Background light used whenever my on camera flash was used to negate shadows.

Subject was always at least 4 feet from backdrop.

The fill light had a 4800k bulb and diffuser, and was attached to a heavy duty powerstrip.

I was adjustng my distance to the subject depending on the lens I used. I was certainly more than 5 ft away from subject.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-setup2b.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Sample 1

No external lighting was used. The light is from the open balcony window which is being reflected by the 32" disc. The window light is also causing the hair light. The gold side of the multidisc reflector was used.

Camera Model Name: Canon EOS 30D
    Tv(Shutter Speed): 1/50Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value): F2.8
    Metering Modes: Evaluative metering
    Exposure Compensation: 0
    ISO Speed: 400
    Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    Focal Length: 85.0 mm
    Tripod: Yes

Opinions would be apprecaited.

I'll be posting more later today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-img_5885_v640.jpg  
    Last edited by poker; 07-03-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: My first portrait session house call..

The only thing I would do is raise the key light (reflector) to make it less bottom-lit. Other than that, I really like it. Well, one nitpick, steam the background to remove the wrinkles.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    The only thing I would do is raise the key light (reflector) to make it less bottom-lit. Other than that, I really like it. Well, one nitpick, steam the background to remove the wrinkles.
    You can see the wrinkles? Damn, you pros have a good eye. I can't see wrinkles anywhere.

I believe the mother/son shots have the keylight at eye level. I'll post those later tonight. Thanks for looking it over Sebastian.

I just realized that you wrote "steam" the background while others may say "iron" Do some people actually bring a portable clothing steamer to straighten out muslin backdrops? I think I'll need a bigger dolly.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Wow...

The only thing more impressive than your setup and results here is how thoroughly you present the diagrams and details to us. Nice job. Boy, if only everyone went to this much trouble when they posted studio shots in this forum.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? :2:

Looks like you've got your system down, and you're also discovering exactly how much gear and effort it sometimes takes even to get a simple shot.

For my magazine work, I routinely carry everything you've shown here and more (think umbrellas, soft boxes, light panels, bg stand, battery power supply, sandbags, etc., etc., etc.) when I shoot on location.

Many times I end up using just available light, but I never can be sure going in, so like you say, I do it to be safe...

Oh, and yes, I do always bring a steamer with me. Used to use a bulky stand-up like you might see in department stores or clothing shops, but now I take the much smaller "scunnci" handheld model. Works just as good...

As for the shot itself, I think you did a great job. My only comments are not critcisms, as they are about style and therefore very subjective.

I agree with Seb. For my own work, I never use a metalic reflector as a key light (too warm for my taste), and I never have the key light coming from beneath, unless I'm going for a very specific effect. Side lighting is as low as I go, and then from there higher depending on the style I want.

I also think the lighting ratio you used comes off a bit too dramatic for the expression of the boy. In my mind these thing should match, and I associate heavy shadow face lighting with character and theater. So for example, I might use it for an older person to show character or to establish a serious tone to match the subject's expression or story.

I see the boy's very soft expression as being better shown with a softer lighting ratio. Again, depends entirely on what you and/or your client wants...

Finally, when I do shoot side lighting like this, I try to accentuate the "dark side" sillouette more by making the bg just a little lighter than you have it here. So you get a real nice dark line (edge) along that side of the subject...

Anyway, these are picky things, and we should agree that the most important thing is the boy's expression, and you nailed that.

Can't wait to see more from this shoot... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Wow is right! Impressive write-up indeed and great illustrations. You are a better man than me - I really can't make any suggestions as I am very weak in the studio/portrait departments (mostly shooting photojournalism and nature stuff).

So I will sit back and try to soak up the other comments here by the experts. Can't wait to see your other posts!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Sample 2

We got the reflector and fill in light going in this shot. He is leaning on the piano bench (from chair to table top). It's a very useful prop.

Focal Length: 95.0 mm
    Flash: Off
    White Balance: Color temperature (Set to 4800K)
    PS7: Bumped Contrast by +5 points, slight crop, minor unsharp mask due to resize

Personal thoughts: The pose is getting cliche although I think it is standard and acceptable for any happy parent. It looks very $10 mall or Sears studio portrait like. His hands are very unatural since I coached him into doing it. The smile is his own. Although I call it cliche, I'm glad. I think I will have to reach the minimum standards of portraits before getting really creative. So is it "cliche" to you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-img_5880_v640.jpg  
    Last edited by poker; 07-04-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Steve - Thanks for the valuable info. I'll read up more on lighting techniques to get a better understanding on it's relationship to subject character. I read your post several times to make sure I absorbed all the advice. Many thanks!

Loupey - I know you got more advice for me under your sleeves

I'm putting more effort into this thread than usual in the hopes to get a lot of advice.

So keep the comments coming!

BTW, the drawings are easy with print screen software called SnagIt. Try it out.
    Last edited by poker; 07-04-2006 at 08:31 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Sample 3 - lens performance

I wanted to take a moment to let you JUDGE the lens performance of the Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM. The "eye" is a full frame (100% mag - noresize) image crop with no modifications in Photoshop. Camera is at 400 ISO, Large/fine, on tripod, and no cable release.

Camera Model Name: Canon EOS 30D

Focal Length: 190.0 mm
    Flash: Off
    White Balance: Color temperature (4800K)

Thoughts on crop: It's a bit soft but I might blame that on the 400ISO setting. I've seen sharper using my Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM Prime. Unfair comparison?

Thoughts on the photo: I like this better than the previous "Sears portrait" cliche. I don't see why a parent would not make enlargements of this. I think horizontal portraits like this simply emphasize facial expression and the EYEs. Regarding the light, I think the reflector and fill are doing their jobs but the balcony/window light is crawling up his shoulders at a different temp. Is that ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-img_5853_w640.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by poker; 07-04-2006 at 01:36 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Sample 4 - Mommy

The shoot got harder once mommy took the stage.

• She wanted to move a lot during the session. I knew my average shutter of 1/50 wasn't going to work out so I used my Canon 430ex flash.
    • A shadow was cast behind her on the backdrop due to the flash so I setup the backlight to negate the shadow best I could.
    • Now we have an issue of THREE catchlights in her eye. 1) reflector 2) flash 3) fill light.
    • We also have three temperature going so I went back to AWB since I didn't know what else to do.
    • I switched to my lighter Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM for more flexibility. No "L" glass this time. Will it be worth it?

Here is the EXIF:

Tv(Shutter Speed): 1/60Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value): F4.0
    Lens: EF85mm f/1.8 USM
    Focal Length: 85.0 mm
    Image Quality: Fine
    Flash: On
    White Balance: Auto

Here are three versions of the shot, two after PS manipulation.

I'll post more on this on Wednesday. Happy 4th to all you U.S. Americans. I hope I get some firework shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-img_5998_3pics.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Hi Eric,,,,let me give you some fatherly advice.....Use the "KISS" principle (keep it simple stupid)..The LESS lighting you use the more natural your studio portraits will look..The trick with studio work is to emmulate natural (read sunlight) light under controlled conditions...Over lighting a subject will look un-natural (unless if that is what you wanted to achieve)..You could run trouble with burnt out hair light as in the image of the girl,,too many catch lights in the eyes (not that is an issue with me as some),,weird looking backgrounds and even dark bags under the eyes..

The simplest way to light a portrait is to set your main light,,,the one you determine your exposure from at around 30 to 45 degrees off centre from the subject and slightly higher than your camera's view point..If need be place a white reflector on the opposite side to your main light to give a bit of shadow fill..The nearer the subject to more fill..If you take a spot meter reading off the main light and the fill around 1 to 1 1/2 stops is good...Move your reflector back and forward to achieve this effect..This gives a nice modelling effect to your subject..

Hair lights can be a scarey exercise if you don't know what you are doing..The hair light in the image of the girl is too bright and has burnt out her hair,,the hair light on the boy is spot on if a bit low in angle..You can also run the risk of the hair light spilling onto the face if it isn't placed correctly..You want the hair light to be about 1 stop brighter than the main light for a dark haired person,,about 1/2 stop stronger for a light haired subject..

Eric,,I hope this helps you a bit..Now go do your homework,, write a 100 times "I must keep it simple" and post some more results..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Jurgen I think you will find that the hair light is actually coming in through the open window on her back left, not from his equipment. Well that is how I see it from the diagrams etc that have been posted.

Always good to hear how everyone else does it, and yes the KISS method is always the best, but sometimes simple can be too simple as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Jurgen I think you will find that the hair light is actually coming in through the open window on her back left, not from his equipment. Well that is how I see it from the diagrams etc that have been posted.

Always good to hear how everyone else does it, and yes the KISS method is always the best, but sometimes simple can be too simple as well.
    Peter,,hair light is hair light irrespective if it is natural light or electronic..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Hi Eric,,,,let me give you some fatherly advice.....Use the "KISS" principle (keep it simple stupid)..
    Jurgen! Long time no post/pm. I haven't been active it the critique threads since I've been exploring other things. I'm very appreciative that you took the time to post here. Although my thread might look like it is instructional, it is really a cry for help. I'd like to figure this out soon. All this junk has to pay for itself eventually I even bought a backdrop stand and roll of polar white paper

KISS is something I really should abide by since I am inexperience with the gear. KISS probably explains why the boy's portraits are better than the mothers. For example, the first portrait posted is way better and that is just using the reflector with window light, a good example of KISS. The more gear I used the lower the quality of the shot. I'd have to blame my inexperience before blaming the gear.

I have a line of non-paying parents ready for me to shoot their kids. I'll have plenty of practice in weekends to come.

Thanks again...I'll be rereading your post 5 ore times after this.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Trial and error will probably lead to some type of personal technique... Hope I figure something out....

If I start going to people's home to do this every location will be different. This will be a challenge.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Eric,,,,a lot can be said about window lighting,,,it is easier to control and you don't need a truck load of gear..I like the portrait of the boy,,the window lighting is natural although the first image is a bit harsh..the other two are fine..

Have a look at the old masters next time you are in a gallery...Most were painted via window light..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Thanks for the guidance everyone. The mother seems to be very happy with the work. She will be giving the shots to her agent next week. She also wants to setup another appointment. It's a start.

Anyhow, here is a final shot to share from the experience. This was using the 32" reflector again as a key light. I also had the 4800k flood diffused as fill lighting. Just two lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first portrait session house call..-img_5902_h640.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I think the most important thing learned here is that lighting is all about the desired appearance, not about angles and distances from subject.

I like seeing the progression of images here, you're definitely getting somewhere.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I think the most important thing learned here is that lighting is all about the desired appearance, not about angles and distances from subject.

I like seeing the progression of images here, you're definitely getting somewhere.

Thanks Sebastian.

I can't wait to do my next session and use what you guys have explained to me.

I found a 2 year old POP Photo Mag that I bought. It has an article about 10 different portrait styles using just one light with accessories of course. I'm going to give each one a try.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information