Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Minolta Flashmeter 5 or 6

I wanted to get the 5 (V) because the analyse function shows the ratio of flash to ambient light in increments of 10% where each segment on the lcd is 10%. The Flashmeter 5 has been replaced with flashmeter 6 which only shows the ratio in increments of 25% by means of a circle divided into 4 segments. So if the 6 shows 50% (2 quarters displayed) then it could be anything from 50 to 74%. Therefore is the 5 better than the 6 if you dont need all that fancy film lattitude stuff, I think I could take spot readings and determine for myself if any highlights would be blown out white or shadow detail reduced to blackness.
    I've been doing ok so far with a polaris 1 and want to get into mixed outdoor lighting, probably with a bowens pioneer. All these extra functions on the 6 may add to the time it takes for a shoot I think, I've been doing ok without them so far. So is the 6 too gimmicky ? I can't find a new 5 for sale anywhere online, does anyone know of a store that would have them ? Also the 6 is a 1% spot, is the for incident or reflective ? can the sphere to set to a wide angle. Is 1% too narrow for an incident reading in the studio ?
    To me the 6 is a step backwards.

Mamiya Man
    well if your looking at getting a flash meter I know nothing about minolta. I personally love my gossen starlight. It does 1 and 5deg spot, incident w/the dome recessed and out and it does flash metering, light averaging for spot and incident light as well as flash. Also if you are interested in the Zone system it will also meter for that too. Also there are many people that love to use their sekonic Meters and wouldn't trade them in for a gossen like I wouldn't trade in my gossen for a sekonic. I would look at all the options out there and also check the review board to see if they have meters reviews on that

Magoo

Thread Information