Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

MicroSync vs Pocket Wizard.

I am going to be purchasing a radio trigger system for my studio lights. Does anyone have feed back on the pocket wizard vs the smaller microsync?
    Capt. Len
    Stingray Images Ltd.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: MicroSync vs Pocket Wizard.

I've been using the PW for quite some time now, and I love 'em. The main advantage for me (and the sole reason I picked them over the cheaper Calumet LiteLink system) is the module that plugs into the Sekonic light meters.

Being able to meter your scene and test fire the flash units without being tethered is a nice luxury.

After attending the PMA in Orlando last month, John told me that Tamarac is interested in having me "field test" the MicroSync system. I haven't seen the product up close yet, but I look forward to giving it a whirl.

From what I can tell, it's main advantage is its small size and durability...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The only drawbacks I see is limited frequency range (4 channels) and short range. PWs smoke it on that front.

I just got a $40 16-channel korean wireless RF trigger off eBay and couldn't be happier.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    The only drawbacks I see is limited frequency range (4 channels) and short range. PWs smoke it on that front.

I just got a $40 16-channel korean wireless RF trigger off eBay and couldn't be happier.
    Like any gear, a thumbs up or down often depends on your individual needs and whether a given item meets those needs.

My wireless range (so far) has never been that great, as all my lights stay pretty close to my camera position.

Korean, eh? And it gets along with your Japanese camera???

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Only the PocketWizard Multimax units offer more channels. The "regular" PocketWizards only have four channels. They still have way longer range than the MicroSync radio slaves.

There are a bunch of MicroSync benefits that STeve didn't mention. One of the benefits is the dedicated cables. PocketWizards are really cheesy in a lot of ways. You have to buy a PocketWizard sync cable which doesn't even attach to your flash. So you also have to buy either a Wein safe sync hotshoe (which is s different flavor of queso) or the Nikon equivalent. And you end up spending about $80 more to get your PocketWizards working. The MicroSyncs only require that you buy one dedicated cable, which attaches directly to your flash.

Did I mentioned cheese? Handle a set of PocketWizards and handle the MicroSync and you'll notice there's a huge difference in build quality. For the price of even the "cheap" PocketWizards, they should at least make them feel more substantial. They feel like a cheap, plastic toy.

The last way the MicroSync differentiates itself is the battery. They use a tiny battery in the receiver that has an automatic switch. They claim you can go for up to three years on one battery. It turns itself on and off and uses very little power. PocketWizards don't use a huge amount of battery power, either. But they won't last for three years on a set pf batteries and they will surprise you and go out in the field. You need to be prepared and pack an extra set of batteries for them. But to be fair, I only need to change my PocketWizard batteries a couple times a year.

I don't think you're going to find action sports photographers switching from PocketWizards since the range is unbeatable. And I regularly shoot from 100+ feet. Five hundred feet or more with a telephoto lens and remote flash wouldn't be unheard of. And I couldn't do that with the MicroSync. But in the studio or for a wedding, the MicroSync looks a lot nicer to me than the PocketWizards.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    And you end up spending about $80 more to get your PocketWizards working...
    Well, not exactly sure what you mean by this. Just from my own workflow, the PW cables replace (and cost about the same) as the sync cord I'd need to use without the PWs. The SafeSync I have to have anyway to use my monolights normally with my DSLRs, but I don't use it with the PW. Do you? And if so, why?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thank you all for your input. I went ahead and ordered the MicroSync form B&H I should have it within the next couple of weeks. I will let you know how it works out.
    Capt. Len
    Stingray Images Ltd.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Len
    I went ahead and ordered the MicroSync form B&H I should have it within the next couple of weeks. I will let you know how it works out.
    What made you decide on the MicroSync over the other available options?

Looking forward to your reports on how it works.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I chose the MicroSync for a couple of reasons. Vs. the pocket wizard I liked the samller size and felt that I would not have the need for the other features and range that the PW provides.

I did play with the idea of one of the way less expensive unites from Ebay but living in the Cayman Islands our local Master and Visa Cards, altough accepted world wide from most suppliers they are not accepted by Pay Pal and that can make ordering from ebay a pain since some vendors only accept them.

I also had to order other equipment from B&H so I just added th MS to the order.

That is my rational . The proof of the pudding will be in the use of it after I recieve it. I will be sure to report back.
    Capt. Len
    Stingray Images Ltd.

The one - The only

I am looking at the same scenario. However, I want to use them with my Speedlights. Can this be done?

--Dave
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Yes, they have adapter for both the PW and MS that allow you to trigger hot-shoe strobes. Mind you, you will only be able to use them in manual modes.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I shot a graduation Last weekend and set up a "studio" location at the recption to get pictures of the graduates. I was using two mono lights and the microsync to trigger them. It worked flawlessly.. I liked the low profile of the transmitter. So far I am very pleased with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MicroSync vs Pocket Wizard.-img_4622.jpg   MicroSync vs Pocket Wizard.-img_4640.jpg  
    Capt. Len
    Stingray Images Ltd.

Thread Information