Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Looking for advice

I recently set up a small studio in my basement. I have continuous fluorescent lights - two umbrellas, a back light and a hair light. Currently I am relying on my friends and family as ginnea pigs I am interested in getting some constructive feedback to improve my lighting and photography skills in the hopes of one day starting a side business. I have attached some of my first tries...

Looking for advice-p9291375-resize.jpg

Looking for advice-nov.-4.-2007-057-resize.jpg

Name:  Elyssa maternity 049-resize.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  74.5 KB

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by SelenaD
    I recently set up a small studio in my basement...
    Welcome to the site, Selena...

I think these are really good early tries. Keep in mind that the whole black black bg will always give you a "floating" effect, something not everyone likes.

The lighting seems fine, but the last two shots seem unsharp, maybe even out of focus.

You'd be a better judge with the original files, but IMO that's something you need to concentrate on as much as anything...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the advice. I have been having some problems with blurry photos. At first I thought it was because many of my subjects are young (squirmy) children. I've been playing with the aperture, shutter speed and ISO but haven't come up with the perfect combination. I seem to need a slower shutter speed when shooting on the black backdrop compared to white. Any suggestions? I don't yet have a light meter, it's on my Christmas list.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I seem to need a slower shutter speed when shooting on the black backdrop compared to white. Any suggestions?
    Your camera meter is probably looking at the average light from the image, and deciding that on average it's dark. But when you use a lighter background then it looks a the average and decides it's a brighter scene and uses a faster shutter speed.
    Since you know more about the scene than the camera does, there are a few things you can do.
    - Guess: Allow perhaps 2/3 to 1 stop faster shutter speed than the meter says when using a black brckground.
    - Meter closer: Go in close with the camera so your subject fills the frame, get a meter reading. Use that exposure even when you go back so that you have the black background.
    - Keep notes: If the brightness of the lighter (not white?) background is close to that of the subject, then use that exposure whatever the background is.
    - Change the meter mode: If you have spot metering, use it. If you have centre-weighted, use it. Average metering will give you the dark/light shifts in exposure you're taking about.

Your image EXIF information says Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
    I think that's averaging, but I'm not sure - check the manual ...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information