Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

A little help would be appreciated

My supervisor at my job has enlisted my services as a photographer for her 6 month old. She wants a family portrait and individual portraits of the baby for the invitations to the baptism. I was wondering if someone could help me out with some tips on what to use as backdrops, lighting and poses. I have complete creative control over the project, but I want it to be completely different from the "typical" baptism invites. The shoot is going to be done both indoors and outdoors. I am looking for tips on what to use for backgrounds (blankets, sheets, ect.) and alternative lighting, since I really cant afford to go out and buy all of the equipment.

Find a shady area, like a park or something. Since money is a problem, then you're gonna have to make due with whatever you can find. In my opinion, blankets and towels look bad as backgrounds. Seamless paper rolls are the best, but can be pricey. White pieces of cardboard are great reflectors.

Different?

Jones-
    If you realy want it to be different, don't use any backdrop. Think outside the portrait box. Try window light and a natural background. Generally, I don't think studio lighting is very complimentary. Window light is wonderful, though. And I love photos of people in their natural environment. What about a photo of the baby in the mother's arms, next to some directional window light? Use a reflector to fill in the shadows. Do some tests and see what you think.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

there is nothing worse than studio setup on a budget. it is much better to shoot either with window light eliminating background distractions with correct lighting ratios or ingaging background elements in the composition, or ouside, journalism-style.

id have to agree with john.whats wrong with the old natural background in the shade with a fill flash.that a pretty inexpensive way todo it,and as far as inside,just be ready to shoot a whole bunch of pictures,your bound to get something that will make your supe happy.hay,what you want for free huh.good luck.someone on this forum usually comes up with great ideas,keep at it.
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Thread Information