Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Mamiya Man

Lighting question.

I have been asked to take some pictures by some female friends. They will be lying on a bed or posing on a bed. My question is how I should position my lights. I normally use my MF camera w/a poloroid back to see how things look. I will be using a 35mm camera, w/2 mono lights. I was thinking about my Large soft box, and my Brolly box on each side of the camera at 45 degrees facing the subject. They aren't looking for artistic, more in the realm of naughty for their boyfriends in the navy/air force, and some just like to take pictures. I normally just use my softboxes this way but because I'm not able to see a test shot before hand I was looking for some input or suggestions. Also, would a P.S. digital be ok to see a preview?

Thanks,

Mike.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Oooo...naughy pitures!

Quote Originally Posted by magoo
    I have been asked to take some pictures by some female friends. They will be lying on a bed or posing on a bed...
    Well, my first thought would be to suggest using a video camera for this kind of creative, er...project, but I supose I should try to maintain the dignity of this forum...

Sounds like beautifully stylish lighting is not a requirement for this shoot, but still, IMO your best bet is diffused directional, which means you want your lights soft, but not equal. There should be some soft shadows.

IOW, I would not make them perfectly symmetrical like you suggest, but instead make a traditional key and fill in maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. The last thing you want when emphasizing women in sexy poses is flat lighting...

Quote Originally Posted by magoo
    Also, would a P.S. digital be ok to see a preview?...
    Sure, assuming you're metering your lights. Your meter readings will determine the ratio (and brightness range), so a digital preview (even on a p&s) should be enough to determine composition and shadow questions.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Lighting question.

Can the P/S be set on manual so you can duplicate the ISO and camera settings to check out your lighting ratios? You might want to practice before your friends come over, maybe position some pillows or something in their place. Watch for reflections etc and try to keep the key light 1-2 feet above their eye level. Try putting the fill at camera level from your shooting position, about 2 stops less than the key light.

Good luck with the shoot.

Sorry Steve, it looks like I stepped on your toes and pretty much said what you did. This is an edit right after I posted the above and saw your answer.

Hope your turkey day went well.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Mamiya Man

I can set each of my flashes differently, and I will be using my flash meter. My Digital does have a manual iso setting on it. It doesn't have a hot shoe but I have remote triggers for the mono lights that will pick up the cameras flash. I am trying to see if I can get access to the room I will be shooting at, so I have an idea of how big the room is and such. sometimes I have some clearance problems with my one softbox. Would I be better off with my soft boxes or with using some umbrellas to get more shadow and texture to the picture? I've never shot nudes before. This is a huge difference from shooting kids portraits, and family portraits so I just want to make sure I have everything right. I want Mr. Flynt to be proud of me

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Mamiya Man

Instead of having my lights just to the left or right, should I move one of the lights more to the side of the subject? I have like 5 books, but none of them really have info for stuff like this. I was looking at borders for some different books w/some lighting diagrams for bedroom shots but none are in stock so I may look on amazon for some other books.

Thanks guys,

Mike.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

How about the softbox on a boom if its the right size and the umbrella for a fill.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Mamiya Man

I've tried that but for some reason my boom doesn't hold the head or the soft box steady. it likes to dip down. I want to upgrade my boom. How about the boom with an umbrella, or a grid from on an angle down?

Mike.

Mamiya Man

Any suggestions for some good books on nudes, and diagrams that would be useful? If I get the pictures are good enough, I'm sure I'll get more invitations for additional practice. These subjects and their friends are morally flexible and don't have alot of hangups on stuff like pictures.

Mike.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I haven't done figure studies since before kids. The umbrella would be better than the grid, much softer and more pleasing. I'm sure Steve would make really good use of a grid and his ringlight for something with more of an edge to it.. As far as the boom, have you tried some type of sandbox or counterweight
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Mamiya Man

I have a counter weight for the boom. It will stay up on the angle, but the head will slide because the boom is adusted by twisting the poles for eight adjustment, and I need more tension to keep the light head right where I want it.

Thread Information