Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

A lighting kit seen on Calumet's Website...

I'm doing a little pre-Christmas list making, and I came across this lighting kit on Calumet's website.

Is this a good lighting kit to start with given the price? If I was going to be doing some portrait work, would I want to get this one or save up and wait for something else?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well...

That's not a bad price at all for all that stuff, but then again that's not much light at all, either. With 500W lamps, you'd most likely have to use a higher ISO, slower shutter speeds and/or wider apertures.

Maybe others here have more experience with low-powered hot lights, but IMO you'd be better off either spending more money to get some 1Ks, or taking that price and buying an inexpensive monolight flash unit like an AlienBee 400 or 800:

http://www.alienbees.com

You can do a lot of great studio work with a single powerful flash unit...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Well...

I figured that this would be a good starting point since it is inexpensive and contains almost a full kit. From that point, I figured I could slowly upgrade by adding more powerful light units and larger umbrellas and stuff.

I'll look into the Alienbees stuff.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: Well...

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    I figured that this would be a good starting point since it is inexpensive and contains almost a full kit.
    Well, that's why I mentioned the 1Ks (1000W lamps). If you go with "non-professional" lights, you could use the rest of thr money on grip gear (stands, umbrellas, etc.).

Construct your own light modification pieces (light panels, reflectors), and you would probably have twice the light output for roughly the same budget...

At the very east, if you do get the outfit you mention, you should add an industrial 1K (ie worklight from a place like Home Depot) and maybe make THAT your key, using the 500Ws as fill and accent lights. That would add only about $30-$40 to your budget and almost double the light...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: A lighting kit seen on Calumet's Website...

I'm one of the people who don't like continuous lights for portraiture. The first light setup I owned was a Smith Victor hot light setup like the one at Calumet. I did a few headshot sessions and wanted to throw the set out the window. The output is underpowered compared to strobes. I had to kick up the ISO and shoot with a larger aperture. If the subject moved the shot would blur due to the slow shutter speed needed. Then there's the problem with the heat. They do heat up a room and can make your model uncomfortable. I know strobes are more expensive but you can start out with one or two and with reflectors make some very professional portraits. Try looking at the Alien Bees' strobes. They are about the best economy strobe for the buck. They have a 5 stop range of adjustability.

And yet the new generation of "hot" lights...

I completely agree with you. The greatest leap my work took was when I went from using 1K and 500W hot lights to my first 400w/s monolight. In one swell foop I was able to go to ISO100 film, stop down to f11, and have all movement frozen by the flash...

Still, much like natural light, continuous light has its merit. And one major factor that has me very interested in them again is the newest generation of powerful studio fluorescent fixtures.

I'm close to getting a Westcott Spiderlite, which clusters either halogen or fluorescent lamps to throw off a very nice amount of illumination with little heat. They're pretty affordable, and I'm curious to see what they're like to work with...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: A lighting kit seen on Calumet's Website...

I have to agree with you about the fluorescent lights. They do have their place and solve the problem of the heat buildup. I built a shooting table and was using my strobes to light some things I was selling on eBay. From what I understand it's better to use fluorescents when shooting jewelry. I just bought two fluorescent bulbs to see if they would be a better choice. I haven't tried them yet but hope to check them out soon. They are 105 watt bulbs and they are huge. They are the trumpet style bulbs and should fit in a standard Home Depot reflector. Let us know if you get the Spiderlights. I'd like to know if they put out enough light to get a decent f/stop and shutter speed for portraits. Here's the URL to the company where I got the bulbs.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...ductID_E_49655

Re: And yet the new generation of "hot" lights...

So then get an AlienBees system with a 400 w/s light?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: And yet the new generation of "hot" lights...

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    So then get an AlienBees system with a 400 w/s light?

I have a couple of White Lightning 800's which are made by the same company. They work great for me and unless your lighting groups of people the 400's will work just fine for portrait work. Sometimes the 800's have to be turned way down or used with a ND gel to cut the power. In most cases the 800's are more than I ever need. I think all the strobes made by them have a 5 stop range of control. I would buy the strobe from the company web site but the modifiers and stands can be found on eBay fairly cheap. For under $500. you could have a comprehensive setup to produce some professional pictures even with one light.

Thread Information