Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Lighting Good for Photo and Video

Excuse me for not knowing where to place this question....

It's photo, video, and portable lighting related....so it can go lots of places

What type of kit should I buy that is good enough for videography (interviews and events) and good enough for studio photography?

I remember shooting to a wedding and the videographer (during the ceremony and reception) had two big bright lights. Anytime soemthing was about to happen in the reception, he would turn them on and start filiming. I always considered that a very easy setup.

Although I already have a cheap SV 3 light tungsten kit and a (2) Canon Speedlight setup, I still would like the video light set to be applicable to the photography stuff.

If you are going to tell me LIGHT is LIGHT as far as photography goes....hehehhehe excuse me for asking....there's just so much technology out there you never know.

Thanks in advance....

Oh yeah....I'd love for it to be compatible with a softbox.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Lighting Good for Photo and Video

Good question. I tend to keep the two disciplines seperate. Flashes, be they studio or portable, for stills, and continuous for video. For me it was a very simple reason, people don't like to sit under hot continuous lights in Miami, its hot enough already. By my posts, you can tell I'm an Alien Bees nut for strobes. For video, I use 2 complete 4 fixture kits from Lowel ligthting. Each kit contains 2 tota and 2 Omni lights, along with stands, gel frames, modifiiers, etc. It is called the Ambi kit and can be found at the following link.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Photoflex makes a series of softboxes that will fit the lights. You might also look at theh photoflex starlight kits, they look pretty nice and affordable.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks Michael. Do you think the 2 Omni lights would nicely light up the main table at a banquet in a typical reception hall?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Although the Omni lights can be flooded out a bit, I tend to use them as a point light, more for a single person or maybe to a two shot interview. I don't feel they have enough angle. For wide areas like a banquet table, the tota lights would work much better.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Although the Omni lights can be flooded out a bit, I tend to use them as a point light, more for a single person or maybe to a two shot interview. I don't feel they have enough angle. For wide areas like a banquet table, the tota lights would work much better.

Wow...I have much to learn. I tried to research what a tota light is compared to an omni light before asking my question. Based on appearnace I though the omni light would be more of a flood light than a tota. I need to more education. I hate to bug sales people for their knowledge unless I'm gonna buy something. I need a book.

Thanks!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I understand, before coming back to teaching, I spent a few years selling and designing and integrating audio/visual systems, broadcast centers, TV stations etc.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I'm still doing heavy shopping for a light setup I can use for portraits and video interviews.

I think I'll need to create my own kit. I'm considering getting a kit of 3 softboxes for the portraits and interviews and then get a couple TOTA lights to flood events. This may do the the trick and keep it in budget. I'll have to get no namer stuff though.

I'm worried about the FAN COOLED lamps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_3_Flood.html

Will the sound from the FAN cooled lamps get picked up on the audio recording??

Hmmmm.....
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

You are right to be concerned about the fans with video. I would avoid them. There is plenty of stray noise to try to control without bringing your own.

When you are talking about a lighting kit to carry with you, can you give me an idea of what you want to do?

There are many options that are multi-purpose. I am not sure that for video at say an event, I wouldn't just flood with Totas. I would more likely bounce off the ceiling with an Omni. If you are thinking Lowel, good choice if you are, there are a couple of good starter kits like the all pro kit. With umbrellas and the right accessories you can have a compact go get'um kit.

I personally carry a couple of softboxes from Amvona and then an Omni and the Prolights for general purpose, like shooting a documentary interview and then some b-roll. I make sure that I have something like an Omni or Prolight that can use a cookie for texture. I do have other choices though for say a wedding or a sports gig. Sometimes, all you need is a couple of reflectors and a silk. Other times I bring out the heavy fresnels.

Let's talk some specific set up's and see what might be the recurring things that you need. You last mentioned a wedding. How did that work out?
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

Thread Information