Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Interfit Stellar 300 and bulbs blowing

Hi, Im a new member looking for some advice/assistance pls.

I have 3 Interfit Stellar 300 heads (sometimes I wish I hadnt - but I have!) and recently bought a Kenro radio trigger.

Ive had one before, but bust it cos I stood on it. Anyway, plugged it in one flash head and and on camera hot shoe to test before I was off out doing a portrait, and the thing flashed like crazy and eventually blew the bulb. No idea why, can only assume cos my laptop was on and using Wi Fi so maybe interfered.

Ive never had a flash bulb blow before (modelling lamps yes) and was greeted by a large plume of smoke, and what seemed like a greasy liquid leaking out. Any idea what the liquid is? Has a weird smell too.

I waited a bit plugged my lamp in to check, and the modelling lamp worked, flash bulb didnt. Test button worked but of course couldnt flash. So ive ordered a new bulb, but Im worried about this liquid. Is it normal? What the hell is it? Can I just replace bulb and carry on? Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice greatly appreciated, cos Interfit arn't the easiest people in the world to get hold of!

Thanks

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Interfit Stellar 300 and bulbs blowing

I've had my Stellars for about 3 years and have only had one problem due to a bad unit which was replaced.

So is it just one head is blown, or have all of them blown? I use mine with a laptop & wi fi on all the time and haven't had any problems either.

I would pop an email to Interfit & see what they have to say. There may just be something wrong with your flash unit.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thanks for the response.

It was just the one head that blew cos thats the only one I had on at the time when I was making sure the radio trigger worked.

Suppose my main worry is this fluid that seeped. Any ideas where this would have come frrom? What does the photocell contain? Could it be that blown? I will try a new bulb, but bit concerned trusting it in other peoples houses doing a portrait say, if its gonna catch fire!!

Soon as I plugged the radio trigger on, it just flashed really quickly and constantly, I just couldnt turn it off in time before the blub blew and smoke erupted!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I don't have a clue what the liquid is, which is why I'd contact Interfit & see what they have to say.

If you are inside the Stellars have a built in optical slave. You could use a flash on camera pointed towards the Stellar & trigger it that way. I did some outdoor family pics today while on vacation & I roughly did that to trigger my strobes.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information