Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Lightbulb What lighting kit should I buy??

Hello, I am a new user on this forum.

I have an home-made studio at home. I am a white paper background and a black paper background.

I am actually using slave flashes with umbrellas and the results are not really good. I am looking to buy a lighting kit with at least 2 headflashes.

I saw the AlienBees B800, they look great but a little bit expensive. Is there some head flashes similar to the AlienBees but less expensive?

Waiting to hear from you.. experts!!

Thanks!
    :thumbsup:

Re: What lighting kit should I buy??

Not to be (too much of) a smart@$$ but $279 is not particularly expensive for a fan cooled unit with a 1 second recycle rate - if you want to see what a little bit expensive looks like, check out strobes that offer proven reliability and accurate color cast - ProFoto, BronColor, Elincrom, Hensel, etc. and that price tag will start looking WAY CHEAP!

If you just want "cheap" monolights, Adorama has heads as cheap as $49.99, the full 2 head kit with comparable power output runs $199 with cheesy light stands, a couple umbrellas, and a bag to put it all in. (if you read the fine print, those 800s aren't really 800s, they're 320s)

Seriously, there's a really good reason expensive lights are expensive, and if you're scoffing at heads that cost more than $100 less than a decent on-camera speedlight, maybe you should rethink the whole studio thing, because this is just the tip of the iceberg. Consistency is of the utmost importance in studio work, and cheap lights just aren't consistent - that's why they're cheap.

Re: What lighting kit should I buy??

Thanks for the reply!

I was asking because I saw some big kits on Ebay at low cost and the feedbacks are very good. I know that lighting is the base of the picture and that's why I want good lights.

I will save more money and go for the bees. Maybe I'll take the pink ones :aureola:

Thread Information