Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Impact lighting kit?

I'm looking at an entry level lighting kit to play with (I want to seriouosly improve my portraiture skills). I found this at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=312171&is=REG

The price is right and I don't want to invest much more at this time but should I look at something different or is this headed down the right path?

Portability is also a factor.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Impact lighting kit?

Great way to start. Just remember that your subjects will get warm under those things. You'll have to bup the ISO if shooting kids for the higher shutter speed so you can catch their movement and freeze it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Great way to start. Just remember that your subjects will get warm under those things. You'll have to bup the ISO if shooting kids for the higher shutter speed so you can catch their movement and freeze it.

They should be here Monday.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Looking at your list of gear, I think that you'll do best with your 50mm/1.8. Do you have a hand held meter? If not, switch to spot meter and then close the aperture down one stop, from there, use your histogram to adjust the exposure.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Looking at your list of gear, I think that you'll do best with your 50mm/1.8. Do you have a hand held meter? If not, switch to spot meter and then close the aperture down one stop, from there, use your histogram to adjust the exposure.
    Thanks! That's exactly the lens I plan to use with the kit. No handheld meter... yet.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

The kit arrived a little while ago. Props to B&H, again, for a perfectly executed order. I let them burn in for a good 30 minutes.

Initial impression is ok. The kit isn't perfectly matched, it's just sold as a kit. I had to get a little creative to get it all together, specifically in regards to the light. The stands aren't bad but a little on the light weight side. They definitely extend to at least 6'. The umbrellas seem nice enough and the lights are extremely bright. I took a quick shot of my daughter and her friend.... used the two lights off to the side and my flash aimed at the ceiling with the diffuser on. I'm pretty happy with the lack of shadow.

Overall, I'd say they're worth the $.

Here's the snap....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impact lighting kit?-img_8231-edit.jpg  

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Are you mixing hot lights and your flash? If so, you will have a tough time matching your white balance. See if you can get a gel for your flash that will give it the same color temperature as the hot lights. The flash is balanced more towards daylight and the tungsten will have a warmer or more yellow to orange cast
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Yep, the WB was totally screwed up on that shot. Thanks again for the advice! I'm looking for a CTO gel now....

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

This may be a little late as far as a response goes but I just picked up a flash kit from Ritz camera by Interfit that came with two 150ws flash monolights,one umbrella, one soft box, two stands and all the connections for $299. I'm eager to see how she shoots.
    JUST TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrickland
    This may be a little late as far as a response goes but I just picked up a flash kit from Ritz camera by Interfit that came with two 150ws flash monolights,one umbrella, one soft box, two stands and all the connections for $299. I'm eager to see how she shoots.
    Did you get the Stellar 150w monolights? I have a couple of the 300w ones, and they're beautiful
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

I'm not sure. It doesn't say anything like that on the unit. They do appear to be sturdy enough for steady home use but not professional studio work. In a pinch I think they would do okay. I'm sure it will fill the bill at my home nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrickland
    I looked all over Ritz for that set for 299 and couldn't find anything even close. can you post a link to it for me or if that's not allowed then a part number that I can search for. This is just what i am looking for, Thanks

I walked into the store here in Naples, Fl. and picked it up. They had three in stock. It's called the Interfit home studio flash kit. Kit # INT120. You can find it in their catalog. The units are EX150's. I shot a roll of 120 through a Mamiya and mama mia, they look really good. Easy to set up and use.

Thread Information