Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

How do you minimize face shine?

For lack of a better term............people with oily faces?

Here is my set up.

Overhead I have a strip dome set anywhere from 1:1 to 1 stop over the main light
    Main light at about a 75 degree angle and high to the subject
    reflector on the opposite side of the main.

I usually shoot at about 1/125th at 4.5 to 5.6.

With some faces I come away with hot spots - usually on the forehead and/or the tip of the nose.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: How do you minimize face shine?

makeup? that's usually a must-have for portrait shoots.

well, that is the easy answer, but we are talking about teens - guys and girls. If they don't show up with make-up I don't have a way to get them to put it on when they get there. Most of the shots are simple head shots for "after" pictures for an orthodontist. Some of them are even pre-teen and all show up with their parents. I am not exactly sure how to tell them - "Well you see, you have what we call an oily complexion and it is causing the lights to shine extremely bright on certain areas of your face"

I am trying to minimize it with lighting w/o causing a very awkward situation for kids who are usually at an awkward age trying to feel good about have great teeth!
    Wes

A larger light source will reduce specular highlights (reflections/shine). Larger is relative to the subject. Start by moving the the main light you have closer to the subject. If that's not possible, or not enough, look into a larger source (e.g. a larger sb).

There's nothing akward in what you're trying to do. I would say it's more the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    well, that is the easy answer, but we are talking about teens - guys and girls. If they don't show up with make-up I don't have a way to get them to put it on when they get there. Most of the shots are simple head shots for "after" pictures for an orthodontist. Some of them are even pre-teen and all show up with their parents. I am not exactly sure how to tell them - "Well you see, you have what we call an oily complexion and it is causing the lights to shine extremely bright on certain areas of your face"

I am trying to minimize it with lighting w/o causing a very awkward situation for kids who are usually at an awkward age trying to feel good about have great teeth!

closer - eh?

counter intuitive for me. I have been moving it back. it is a medium softbox about 3X5. I will try closer next time.

Thanks!
    Wes
    Wes

Powder

Powder - it's the right way to do it. A shiny face is a shiny face, regardless of the light. There's a reason that people use makeup. Just buy some face powder and a few brushes so that you'll have it when you need it. Maybe ask a few women what to use. I've been meaning to buy some myself for the same reason. But I don't do enough portraits for it to matter that much.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, you are probably right. I guess since my wife (named FiFi when we are working in the studio) helps me almost 100% of the time she can work the powder angle.

Just seems awkward to ask a 16 year old dude to powder up!
    Wes

Thread Information