Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Home Studio Lighting?

I would like to buy some lighting for occasional home use, maybe once a month or so. With not much use, is it worth spending the money on something like the alienbee 2 lite set or something like the interfit 200. Thanks

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Home Studio Lighting?

I can't speak for the interfit lights, although the ones I've handled at the store are pretty nice. I can tell you that I have a pair of Alien Bee 1600's and will soon be adding a pair of the B800 units for freelance work with a local production company. I think they are the best bang for the buck units currently on the market.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

GB1

What are you lighting? Small items? Models? Any chance that you may want to expand beyond home use? As the wattage goes up, so do the costs.

Can't comment on the ones you mentioned, but if ya just want something small and inexpensive, check out

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/301660015.htm
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the response. MJS, my main thought is value for the amount I'll be using them. I'll be shooting some models in a 13 X 13 room when the oppurtunity presents itself. If I felt I'd need lights on a pretty regular basis I wouldn't hesitate getting the AB's

GB1, I really have no interest in doing anything outdoors at this time.

I have interfit lights that have been sitting on top of my wardrobe since 2005 and wish I knew then what I know now. I won't ever get rid of them because I like them, there's just no room for me to use them here and they get sooooo hot!
    If you must have lights and it's for occasional use why not go for something like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eik8i...eature=related
    or...
    just use a window or an open door

Being in Florida, heat is a concern especially since I run a total of 1250w of metal halide's for a saltwater fish aquarium already. So I'm leaning towards strobes but I will check out the link you provided.
    Thanks

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I've got a couple of the Interfit Stellar 300ws strobes, and I love them. I shoot lots of products, and am getting into photographing people more. Recycle time it pretty quick, and they use the Bowens mount so there is lots of accessories with them.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Okay, heres my plan - two 500w worklights with stands.... homemade softbox and umbrella.... total cost - about £70 - ($140)

okay so I can't control light levels (apart from moving the lights around), its going to get hot in the 'studio', but otherwise does this sound like a cheap solution for someonw who can't afford the $400 cost of a studio lighting starter kit?

Thread Information